Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Decals for your classic Alfas

16K views 37 replies 15 participants last post by  6alfas 
#1 · (Edited)
Folks,

Work and five (yes five) kids have been occupying my time for the last several years. I am also the advertising chair for AROC USA, and the Alfa Owner, though I have been seeking my replacement. If interested, drop me a note. I have been enjoying the Alfas and Ferraris on rare occasion. And may actually let a couple of the cars go this coming spring.

I have for some time been looking for an effective way to share with the community the collaborative effort to create decals for 70s and forward classic Alfas. I mention that model year range as that is what I have ready at the moment. Below, you will see a link. The link, a google drive, will give you access to files I created with your contributions. These files may not be perfect, but they are close.

The files are multiple pages of PSD (photoshop) files. And the PSD files have layers allowing you to turn on and off individual decals. The decals can be printed at home with the proper materials and a simple inkjet printer. I personally used a higher end photo printer by cannon as it had not fading (archival) ink. But I think very good results can be had with a HP inkjet for example.

The process is simple.
1. Download the files for your particular model of Alfa. Decal Google Drive
2. Download Photoshop if needed. A free CS2 version can be acquired through Adobe. Adobe Photoshop CS2
3. Open one PSD page file at a time and using photoshop turn on and off the layers by clicking on the eye next to the image on the right column
4. The files are typically on a standard 8.5 x 11 sheet, and the individual images have their sizing embedded (unless noted with the file name as deviated).
5. Print on Inkjet vinyl. I used an Avery IPM 2500 white inkjet vinyl
6. Cut the individual decals from the sheet leaving white border margin for handling
7. While keeping the decal face clean of lint and dust, laminate with 5 year clear vinyl. Start at one end and carefully roll the clear across the printed surface keeping bubbles from being trapped. I used a generic 5 year clear laminate
8. Be sure to press any air bubbles from behind the laminate.
9. These can be heat cured if desired in the oven at around 140 degrees or less for a few minutes to make them immediately pop, but not necessary.
10. Cut to the appropriate shape. Guillotine style cutter would come in handy along with a good pair of scissors. Some are squared off, some are rounded corners. Some have white margin. Refer to your originals.

There are some decals that must be printed on clear vinyl and laminated, and adheared to chrome vinyl. Examples include the FISPA decals, the alternator decals, some coil decals, etc. Some decals have to be printed mirrored on clear, then laminated with white vinyl. An example is the Aria Condizionata decal. These are not included in the PSD pages for the individual models. Rather, they are accessible in individual folders as files for printing as 6"x 4" size vinyl.

Any questions or requests for additional files, pop me an email at jmduncan01 at aol dot com. PM won't work as I am well over my PM limit. I will be working on a late 60s file to accommodate the Duetto/Spider and Stepnose. Please do not make modifications to the files on the drive, and do not add new files to the drive. Just pop me with needed changes and additions.

If you are utilizing the files, I do have one request, pay it forward. Might be a gift for a child that otherwise wouldn't get one, turning a wrench for an Alfa buddy who doesn't need to be turning wrenches, do something of your own creation....as sappy as it sounds...making the world a little bit better place. It would be great to see your posts on this thread with what you did to pay it forward. With that said, enjoy and Happy Holidays! :D

Best Regards,
John M

PS. Photo of the latest addition (but I think I would trade her for a 4C Spider! :O)

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks for the welcome back Brian. Glad to share. Is the drive working? And do you see the sub folders? And how many of my Alfas do I need to bring to Colorado to swap for your round tail? :D

#4 ·
Now everyone the World Over can have fresh decals on there Alfa Romeos for these models - for the cost of printing . .

Thanks John M.

#5 ·
Yes. That is the plan Budsy ole boy. Hope to see you at the XMAS party this Saturday at the Cooke's home!

If someone is looking for a decal that is not up, just send me the message via email and I will add it to a miscellaneous folder on the drive.

Reactions: alfaloco
#6 · (Edited)
Folks

I should also note, some of the decals that were silk screening (i.e. the 69 airbox or 69 fuel filter) are replicated by printing on waterslide, with a microdry Alps printer with opaque white and yellow over the white. The 69 fispa gas filter housing tag was a multilayer alps print with metallic gold and black over clear waterslide. The Defrost decal for a S1 spider dash was actually a clear vinyl printed on the Alps printer with opaque white. So these special decals will require special equipment that is capable of printing white, and layered printing at times. The waterslide decals are designed to be painted over to encapsulate them in clear. The waterslide decal material I utilize is from Tangopapa who specializes in scale train set decals. And I use an Avery clear vinyl for injet printers if doing a project requiring its use like the S1 spider defrost decal.

#8 ·
Welcome back John!

#10 ·
Thanks fellas. I hope your families are doing well and all the Alfas are shiny side up! :D

As far as the blue hues...I just think the color on those cars really sets them apart from the typical sea of Rosso. I've never been big on red. And after all, everything is blue and white in Kentucky! :D

Reactions: alfaloco
#12 · (Edited)
Welcome! That looks sharp Rich. Looks like an 83 to 85 there. I like the color and the panos. The bipod dash always was the best for the Spider. I keep my fingers crossed that Alfa will someday spray some sort of blue pearl hue on a 4C Spider. If they did I think I would have to part ways with some vehicles and head down to the dealership. :D My favorite blue color is Azzurro. It is like a steel-ish medium blue metallic with a touch of pearl in the mixture. So she really pops depending on lighting....

Attachments

#13 ·
Thanks, John. I like the color on your Ferrari. My paint is supposed to be Porsche Graphite Blue Metallic (I don't think it came out exact). It has that touch of pearl in it, and the color looks very different depending on the lighting. Here's a comparison in direct sunlight and under fluorescent lights:

Attachments

#17 · (Edited)
You talking to me? Heh? YOU TALKING TO ME!?! SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE BLUE FRIEND!!!!

For old times................

And if you've gotten this far.... :D

Video4

#19 ·
To the top. Files are still on Google drive for your free use.

Best Regards,
John M

Reactions: RenaissanceMan
#26 · (Edited)
#28 · (Edited)
It was from my 1976 2000 Spider Veloce, which I removed badly for a 1989 repaint.

I know an original "PPG" sticker would now not reflect the actual paint on the car, however putting one labelled "DUCO" from Classic Alfa probably would defeat the purpose of keeping it original, even if it were a "Blu 323".

I found the correct artwork (above) with perhaps the exception of the border.

Great link, ossodiseppia

Now, how do I speak Italian?

#30 ·
Message the seller through eBay and include the picture you supplied here. Ask if he has it and to send you a picture.

If you don't like what he has to offer, I will send you a file and you can have it printed at a place I've dealt with in the UK.

I would like to see pictures of any stickers that were or still on your car. :) I've pestered a lot of folks for pictures over the last few years. I might have actually gotten this one from you.

The lubricant sticker on your car should have been a yellow one. It might have been this one.

#31 · (Edited)
Many thanks ossodiseppia

I am certain that the green sticker was never on my car

It was an Australian (RHD) import when I bought it new in 1976

I still have the original bonnet (hood) which was removed in 1989 with its yellow sticker

You might note that it is slightly different to the one I recently attached to my replacement bonnet ex Classic Alfa, but probably not different enough to worry about.

Well, on second thoughts, maybe it is quite different?

Anyway, there was never a green sticker or either of the black identification decal plates which I have seen on some earlier cars. This may have been as my car was classified an "austerity" version which also lacked a number of the earlier features such as spare wheel clamp, and map pocket.

#32 ·
#33 · (Edited)
You might have noticed that it has the 105.64 part number at the bottom left so that is a sure give-away that it belongs to a Montreal.

Perhaps the green sticker did go astray in the '89 strip-out of the engine compartment, but I also can't recall ever seeing the black typo plate or larger black firewall sticker.

Its a shame I never took any detail pictures when it was new.😥

Only this one today

Attachments

#36 ·
Is that a Classic Alfa sticker on the air cleaner?
Yes it is. I was not sure where it went although I do remember small white text being lost when the air cleaner was repainted in '89. The Classic Alfa one looked similar and the fact that the air cleaner's raised identifying number was presented sideways and there was a space below it led me to think that its position was correct as shown in my pic.

#37 ·
hi Alfisti, not sure whether this post is in the correct section of this forum, following problem, the hood of my Alfa Spider Veloce (US-Version) built 1974 is too close to the SPICA and the decal is sratched, dose anyone has the specifications or a picture so I can find the missing information. An image is attached to this post which should clarify it - thanks so much.
PS: for a paint/rust job I am looking for a source here in Europe or Germany, if someone has a good source where to buy paint it will be appreciated - not sure for the correct color code, I am looking for a silver/grey metallic I believe it is (as in other posts):
AR-737(1969-1978), Du Pont #37005, #42667. (Dupon Lacke/paint = now Axalta company)

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.