Alfa Romeo Forums banner

May 7, 2006 Update from Osso's Garage

7K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  mplimacher 
#1 · (Edited)
This is the first of two updates. Last week, I assembled the convertable top frame. All of the pivot points had powder coating on them which had to be removed. All of the tops frames that I have ever seen have so much slop in them that they are difficult to raise and lower. That happens because the bushings that were installed at the factory disappear over time. I was fortunate enough to get a set from Alfa West. Unfortunately, it was the last set and I don't think Dale has plans to make any more. I am not sure what they are made of, and I didn't ask. I was just happy to get them. They are a very snug fit. Every one needed to be pressed in (I used a small plastic hammer). As you can see from the photos, all of the powder coating needed to be removed in order for the bushings to fit. Once all of the bushings were installed, I assembled the two halves and installed them on the car.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Next the three bows and latches were installed. The mounts had to be adjusted in order to align the front bow with the windshield frame. Then, the rear bow was installed. Each of the pushings recieved a small amount of lithium grease to ensure smooth operation. With the new bushings and proper adjustment, I should be able to raise and lower the top from the driver's seat. Only time will tell.....

Attachments

#3 ·
Looks great, Osso. I'd guess that the bushings are made of nylon.

My '71 has never had its bushings lubricated or replaced in the 13 years that I've owned it, and I can still raise it with my right arm, sitting in the driver's seat. You should be able to raise yours with just your pinky!

By the way, I'm planning to build a wooden transport dolly like yours; how is the car body (at the jack points) attached to the dolly? I couldn't tell from the pictures on your website - if you have a closeup, can you pm it to me? Thanks very much.

#4 ·
Osso

Once again you are a wealth of info and photos.

BTW - on my very original 67 Duetto top, the top latches are polished chrome. I took mine apart (being careful not to loose the little springs) and had them re-chromed. The satin chrome ones are from later cars (of course, powder coating is non-stock too ;) ). Do you also have the little leather snaps that hold them down? If I can get my camera connection working again I'll send you photo of mine. Never knew why they were there - the latches snapped over-center nice and tight.

Just beautiful work!

Robert

#5 ·
pathung said:
By the way, I'm planning to build a wooden transport dolly like yours; how is the car body (at the jack points) attached to the dolly? I couldn't tell from the pictures on your website - if you have a closeup, can you pm it to me? Thanks very much.
You don't really need to secure the chassis to the dolly. The weight of the chassis is enough to keep it on the dolly. When transporting the chassis on the dolly, secure the chassis to the dolly and the chasis and the dolly to the trailer. You'll need losts of straps, but it should be fine. I thought that I needed the chassis attached to the dolly, so I bought the metal gizmos at the hardware store. The dolly is stout. My garage floor is uneven that the wheel in the picture is more than a half inch of the ground. The dolly did not flex on bit.

60sRacer said:
BTW - on my very original 67 Duetto top, the top latches are polished chrome. I took mine apart (being careful not to loose the little springs) and had them re-chromed. The satin chrome ones are from later cars (of course, powder coating is non-stock too ). Do you also have the little leather snaps that hold them down? If I can get my camera connection working again I'll send you photo of mine. Never knew why they were there - the latches snapped over-center nice and tight.
The latches on the 1750 are satin finished. The 2000 Spiders also had satin finished latches, but they also had the leatherete pull tabs. Yes, I have the small straps that keep the latch inplace when the top is down. I can't remebber where I got them.

Attachments

#6 ·
ossodiseppia said:
The latches on the 1750 are satin finished. The 2000 Spiders also had satin finished latches, but they also had the leatherete pull tabs. Yes, I have the small straps that keep the latch inplace when the top is down. I can't remember where I got them.

:D So many little differences between the various models of alfa that were almost identical. I am still in awe of your work! You could easily write the ultimate alfa restoration book just with all the photos...

Robert

#8 ·
Osso, you website, your work, your patience is an inspiration to everyone. I was so inspired after I saw your website and all the problems you had to deal with. Keep up the good work and I'm looking forward to the updates

Best regards

Jon van Wyk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.