Alfa Romeo Forums banner

February 21, 2017 Update From Osso's Garage

7K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  ossodiseppia 
#1 · (Edited)
I am getting close to my last update. While my car has been at a local shop getting some things tidied up, I've been hard at work on my next project for the car.

With the help of several (actually many) AlfaBB'ers, I've managed to collect enough imagery to do the graphics for the various stickers I need to complete my restoration.

Below are all that I have had proof printed to date. The red colors are not quite right, but I hope to have those dialed in very soon. I must have a couple hundred hours in this project but feel it is worth it to have the correct graphics.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I've had them printed on a vinyl substrate with a vinyl top laminate. I'm hoping those that go on the inside of the hood will withstand the temperature. I'll know soon enough.

Below is a screen shot of the Exhaust Emissions sticker that was supplied to me by a fellow BB'er. It was a painstaking process to get each and every letter lined up and spaced as they were back in the day. Most folks don't realize that type setting was done by hand and that no single word had the same letter spacing.

I hope to post some pictures of the proof stickers on the inside of the hood, very soon.

Attachments

#4 ·
Hi Brian

Well done, I know that this must have taken you a long time but I am sure that the end product will be worth it. I think that part of getting these done is the research and all the info that you have to gather is kinda fun and interesting. The big question is will you make more of these to sell? I certainly would be interested in some of them.

Thanks, Rick

#5 ·
Yes, Rick, I am interested in sharing and selling. A few folks I've been working with have expressed interest. These are specifically for the US spec 69 model year Alfas. I've managed to get scan of the tire pressure sticker for the GTV and Berlina. So, I could offer them for all three models.

I'm waiting to hear back from the printer about minimum orders. Only then will I have any idea of pricing. I don't think there is going to be much interest, John M made and sold a bunch about 10 years ago. So, we will see how things develop.

Thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate it.

#8 ·
I don't thin John has any interest in them, anymore.

I believe the Recommended Lubricants sticker is available in Europe, but I cannot speak about its authenticity. Wille R send me an image of the one he removed from his car. I've done the graphics on it, but have not done a proof print.

I'm pretty sure your car should have had a Made In Italy sticker, which I have or will have. Alfaholics has a Recommended Lubricants sticker, but it doesn't look like the one I got from Wille. They have used originals to create their reproductions and are supposed to be accurate.

The air cleaner sticker is readily available from European suppliers.

#11 · (Edited)
I and several others have emailed or called John. There has been no response. He is active on the Ferrari Chat forum, but not on the AlfaBB.

Brian, they look great! A true labor of love, as far as the colors,the originals would have faded / changed over the years so it would not faze me that much.
I have a US delivered '67 1600 Duetto for which I would be interested in a set.....
Ciao, Nick.
Thank you, Nick. Unfortunately, these are for the 69 Model year SPICA injected cars. I think you should look at what the European parts suppliers are offering for your car. I don't have enough info on your model of Duetto to know which stickers apply to your car. Alfholics has reproduced some of the stickers using ones they got directly from cars that have come in their shop. You might want to approach them and see what they have that applies to your car.

Miscellaneous Parts | 105/115 Series Parts | Alfa Romeo

EDIT: The Recommended Lubricants sticker offered by Alfaholics looks similar to one I photographed on a 67 Duetto in the early nineties. It is not an exact match.

#12 ·
Brian,
I too will be interested in ordering a set when you get them finalized and pricing figured out.
Bob Balsbaugh

#14 ·
#18 ·
Looks like the one on one of my spare 68 gearbox sitting on the shelf--

I'm also interested in a sticker subset that works with my euro cars

Attachments

#16 · (Edited)
#19 ·
Work on the various stickers and decals continues in Osso's design studio. I've got rough graphics done on the engine compartment fuel filter housing and the SPICA shocks.

The fuel filter that is in my car actually has pretty good graphics on it. I really don't want to remove it, just to get a scan or some pictures, so this will have to wait until time to change the fuel filter.

Most of the fuel housing bowls have long lost the black plastic exterior. I'm not sure if it was designed as some sort of thermal protection. If that's all you have, a nice coat of black paint or powder coat can restore an original look.

I've run across several options for decal media. I think standard media might be ok, so long as it gets some sort of clear coat. I think Some folks have tried unsuccessfully to use standard decals in the engine compartment with poor luck. I discovered decal media that is baked on. Temperatures that are required would surely melt the plastic exterior. I've also run across decal transfer media which seems to be interesting.

The shocks in the pictures were originally on my car and have enough of the graphics to copy.

All of the mock-ups are printed on paper so that I can check sizing, layout and font choice.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.