Alfa Romeo Forums banner

September 21 2016 Update From Osso's Garage - Restored SPICA Air Cleaner

5K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  ossodiseppia 
#1 ·
I've finally finished restoring the air cleaner. I had three air cleaners, all were different shades of grey. So, I picked the closest colour and went with it. It has a couple of dings in it, but nothing that will really be visible, once it's installed. I'm very happy with the results.

Now, I just need those water slide decals......

Attachments

See less See more
#13 · (Edited)
Thanks for all of the kudos.

I did not find that there was one specific colour of grey used on the air cleaners. I have two from 69 model year cars and one from a 2 litre. They were all a different shade of grey.

I wanted a durable finish, so I had them powder coated at a local shop. We spent about 30 minutes looking at colour samples and settled on this one.

here is a nice little post where various greys have been photographed, including Tower Grey
just fyi!

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/5622250-post27.html
Thanks for sharing this. I too would have picked the machinery grey or the cobalt canon.

#6 ·
Tower Paint can sell you the correct Spica Gray in a spray can. I sent them the sample to match 15 or so years ago and had the first cans made. They have the formula on file, and it's the correct gloss level, too. Most paints will be too shiny.

#11 ·
Looks very nice. I love this sort of mini-project. That air filter housing makes up a large part of the under bonnet aesthetic on SPICA cars; it's always nice to see one in this kind of condition, as it really finishes off the engine bay.

#15 ·
This looks beautiful. Any chance you'd be willing to do another for a fee?
Thank you. I'm sorry. It would be prohibitively expensive. Just to have a single one powder coated would be about $200 at the place I used. That's their minimum charge, that I remember.

The plates were being offered by @elite38868:

https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/gt-1963-1977/295034-spica-1750-2000-air-cleaner-plate.html

Last time I asked, he was down to only a few with some defects. I am sure if there is enough demand, he would do another run. You might want to reach out to him and see.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.