Alfa Romeo Forums banner

May 14 2006 Update from Osso's Garage

4K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  ossodiseppia 
#1 · (Edited)
This weekend, I turned my attention to the seats as they need to be ready to take to the upholstery shop. I had a set of hinges that I had scavenged from another car. These hinges are in great shape. They have a few nicks, but nothing too eye catching. I also had about a half dozen of the chrome caps and a decent set of the tear drop shaped black plastic covers.

I elected to buff the paint on the hinges using, believe it or not, Turtle Wax Polishing Compound. The paint on the hinges is a pretty durable finish that should last a long time. A little poshing should restore the original lustre.

Next, I used the same Turtle Wax Polishing Compound to polish the tear drop shaped black plastic covers and the black plastic knobs used to raise and lower the seat back.

The chrome caps were buffed using some of Eastwoods various buffing compounds. I had to be careful buffiing. Too much heat would cause the chrome to separate from the plastic and ripple. I plan to clear coat the caps.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Bill77 said:
Couple of questions:
  • How did you remove the chrome caps?
  • Do you know of a source for the little black plastic knob for the seat back release lever?

Nice work, as always.
Hi Bill,

The caps need to be pried out. I used the corner of a razor blade and stuck it between the cap and the knob. Be careful and don't stick it down too far as you might snap of the tip of the blade. Just work your way around the circumference of the cap prying a little at a time. If you plan to buff them, don't buff any splits of knicks in the chrome. If you catch an edge of the chrome, a piece might get ripped off.

Sorry, I don't know a source for the plastic knobs. I am considering getting Eastood's "Super Casting Kit" to cast some plastic doo-dads. Something like that might work for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.