Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Restoration Update from Osso's Garage

7K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  ossodiseppia 
#1 ·
#5 · (Edited)
Osso,

What are the holes (circled in red) in the foot well area, I assume they are speaker holes. See attached picture.

On a GTV those holes would let in air from behind the front wheel ... I know my car had rusted those panels. Also wouldn't those holes weaken the structure? ... I would have thought that that panel would actually be structural, especially on a spider.

EDIT: I've just realised that I am wrong about some of this. A GTV does not have that panel ... on my car you can see the top of the chassis rail right up into the bulkhead. Thus this panel must be an extra for spiders ... still wonder about cutting a hole in it (?) ...

Just trying to help :) .
Pete

Attachments

#6 ·
Osso....hurry up already and get this car back together. The suspense is killing me! :D Its got to be one of the nicest restorations going on an Alfa.

Best Regards,
John M

#10 ·
Wow, thanks for all of the kudos. I'm blushing. The holes in those side panels were put in by the PO. He had some huge speakers in there that stuck out about 1.5 inches. When I got the car, it had the speakers, but no radio. So, out came the speakers. I didn't want to have new sheet metal welded in as I might someday want to put in a radio. I'll cover the holes with some thick plastic, much the same way doors are covered before the panels are installed.

I don't think I'll make a drive out to California in the near future. It'll be a while before I take the car on a long drive. I'll need to work out all of the kinks before I take it out for a long trip.

Thanks again for the support. This is such a terrific forum. Makes you feel part of a family.

#13 ·
He prolly got some production pictures from the factory back then, I tell ya...
He's fooling us :p

I would weld up those ugly speaker holes before the paint job.
But apart from that I think we all bow humbled infront of such work...

It's the details that make a good job great.

#14 ·
Osso,
Dash looks awesome! I need to go through a dash installation myself soon, I hope....... You said it was a pain, any learnings, do's don'ts, sequence, that you want to share with us?????

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.