Alfa Romeo Forums banner

The latest from Osso's garage

19K views 28 replies 17 participants last post by  ossodiseppia 
#1 ·
Well, I finally had some warm weather and time to do a little more work. This week, the gas tank got put back in. I sent the tank to Spike's Radiator (I'm not kidding) to have it service. It didn't seem to be all that bad, but I had it done anyway. Spike's drills a small hole in the tank and media blasts the inside and outside. Then, they apply some sort of plastic coat to the inside. I asked that they not paint the tank so I could apply some of Eastwood's Chassis Black on the top and Tank Tone on the bottom. The Eastwood paint goes on really well, even with a slight breeze. I got the tank painted during one brief warm stretch.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
#3 ·
#5 ·
I've never encountered camper tape before; I wonder if that would work as well or better than the weatherstripping under the Carello headlight covers recommended in another thread? For my car, being silver, it would probably be less noticeable to have a grey foam than white.

The tank looks great. I can't wait to see pictures when the car is finished. I've enjoyed seeing every step.

I once found a reference somewhere online to a company that makes or stocks the green tubing, but I couldn't find it on their website (and probably would have had to order several miles of it anyway), and now I can't even find where I jotted the name down. My car isn't pristine by a long shot, and I know I should just be happy with the clear stuff that's easy to find, but . . .

#14 ·
Beauty & the beast!

Here are some photos of my gas tank as a counterpoint to Osso's fantastic renovation.

I pulled the tank out over the holidays, as I had been getting some dirt in the fuel filters. Emptied something like half a pound of rust out of it! Also realized it has a large dent.

I was going to treat it with POR 15, but seems like it is going to need more drastic remediation. Anyone know of a place in the SF Bay Area that I can use? Am I better off trying to source a replacement tank? Are spider tanks interchangeable across different years?

Thanks for any input

Marc

Attachments

#15 ·
I've seen very similar clear green tube used in Aquarium applications. I don't know if it would be petrol or oil resistant but if it only carries fumes maybe!!!??? It's fairly cheap so it may be worth checking out your local Aquarium Shop and doing yourself some experimenting.

Just a thought.

Adam

#17 ·
Osso ; Absolutely amazing. Dedication.

I recently replaced my tank. Someone on the BB (Jr. Z) suggested camper tape, but warned to only use closed cell foam so it doesn't hold water. This sounded reasonable, so I went through 3 or 4 different brands before I found one that I was comfortable with. I immersed little pieces of the tape in water for a few minuted to see if it it soaked any up. I finally ended up using generic "weather stripping tape" from an auto parts chain, which seemed to be more like rubber than foam.

#19 ·
Osso,

[Fill in words of praise, as I am out of them already :rolleyes:]

What color code is your car? I'm wondering if I have a DUCO paint sticker I can give you.

#20 ·
78-AR-SPIDER said:
Great job Osso.
Not scratching the paint it is the hard part. I was unsucessfull but yours looks wonderfull.
Thanks Steve. I have scratched the paint. I did it with my VW. It's hard to get three cars in a two car garage, but I do. I've have always known a trip to the paint shop would be needed after I get it finished. I got a small amount of paint for touching up as I go. I've managed to chip the paint off around a couple of screw holes in the engine compartment. So, the touchup paint came in handy.

116_Veloce said:
Osso,

[Fill in words of praise, as I am out of them already :rolleyes:]

What color code is your car? I'm wondering if I have a DUCO paint sticker I can give you.
Thanks for the praise. Here's the sticker I need.

Attachments

#21 ·
Interesting. I could probably make one if you can scan it at good quality or give me exact measurements.

#23 ·
#24 ·
Duco Montecatini white 95-30026 you said???

:p :p :p

(Thats what happenes when you have too much free time on Sundays...)

Mind you I didn't have the exact size, it's 1 and 3/4" wide which to me seems very close. I can always reprint.

#26 ·
Brian,

Thanks for posting images, and the great info for a tank restoration. My tank was leaking terribly and I recently had it cleaned and welded up. I just finished painting it and now Im off to get some of that fancy camper tape and some mounting hardware.

Thanks again for the info.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.