Alfa Romeo Forums banner

221 - 240 of 318 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Burman Steering Box O-Ring Retainer

I'm Changing The Burman Steering Box O-ring Seal With The Steering Box Still In The Car. I Damaged The O-Ring Retainer While Taking It Out!!!! Does Anyone Have A Spare Retainer They Would Be Willing To Part With? I See That Many People Replace The O-Ring With A Seal While Doing A Box Rebuild (I like the idea and I would do it if the box were out of the car) So Hopefully Someone Has Kept The Retainer.

In Addition, I Still Have Some ZF Steering Box Seals (28 X 42.5 X 8). If You Need One Let Me Know.

-John

·
Registered
959 Posts
I'm Changing The Burman Steering Box O-ring Seal With The Steering Box Still In The Car. I Damaged The O-Ring Retainer While Taking It Out!!!! Does Anyone Have A Spare Retainer They Would Be Willing To Part With? I See That Many People Replace The O-Ring With A Seal While Doing A Box Rebuild (I like the idea and I would do it if the box were out of the car) So Hopefully Someone Has Kept The Retainer.

In Addition, I Still Have Some ZF Steering Box Seals (28 X 42.5 X 8). If You Need One Let Me Know.

-John
Hey Delllta, I posted this question on another thread but will throw it out here again: I talked to Norman Alfa parts in Berkley cuz my box is leaking. They asked if I had an O-ring or lip-seal on my Bbox. I didn't have a clue. my 72GTV has 90K on it and the B-box is pretty greasy so I'm assuming without looking closely that the O-ring or lip-seal is leaking however, I also read somewhere(?) that one can use Penrite steering box grease instead of 90w and the leak problem will be solved.
With that said, you mentioned you have ZF Steering Box Seals (28 X 42.5 X 8) is there more that one size/measurement? TIA, David

·
Registered
793 Posts
David,

If you have a '72 then you will have a seal. My '70 JrZ has an O-ring. I had already put grease in the box but it still leaked a bit (after sitting for a long time I think the grease "breaks down"). I changed the O-ring with the box in the car (I got the O-ring from Larry at APE). It was a pain but I did it. Changing the seal will be a bit easier because you can destroy the old seal taking it out (with the O-ring you have to save the O-ring retainer when disassembling). The seal you need is different from that used on the ZF box. Numerous vendors have the seal you need (I know Spruell has it).

-John

·
Registered
959 Posts
leaving the box in the car would be awesome but I can see how it would be difficult to replace the seal from below. have you removed the box before and if so, do you have to release the steering column from under the dash so the box can move forward to get to the 4 bolts nearest the firewall?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Steering box R&R instructions

Here are instructions I supply with steering boxes I have reconditioned. While it is specifically written for RHD that do not have a spline at the firewall, most elements would be applicable to LHD.

It also includes my advice on wheeel alignments.

View attachment R&R Burman Steering Box.pdf

·
Registered
561 Posts
Couple of things I noticed while reconditioning a batch of 7 boxes recently:

There are different threads on the cases of some boxes. The cut over seems to be when the short column boxes became standard (without the handbrake boss casting). The later boxes have a coarser thread on the bolts.

Also, I must place a caveat on the non-use of a paper gasket on the top plate. Some boxes may bind when the top cover is bolted down. Of the 10 steering boxes that I have reconditioned this year, one has done this. This is caused by the button on top of the recirculating ball nut that engages with the sector shaft coming into contact with the underside of the top plate. A gasket as per original allows clearance solves this issue.

I currently have 4 RHD boxes left for sale ($600 AUD exchange). I will sell outright for $900 AUD each. Description is below:

Reconditioned 105 series Alfa Romeo steering boxes – Burman RHD.

A 105 steering box should not have any detectable play, should not make clunking noises when the steering is steering wheel is wobbled from side to side, be smooth, virtually frictionless and not leak oil. If your steering box suffers from any (or all) of these ailments. One of these steering boxes is what your car needs.

These steering boxes are for sale on an exchange basis. They come with a conditional* 15,000 km/2 year guarantee. Detailed fitting and wheel alignment instructions are included with all steering boxes.

The following work has been performed on all steering boxes:

•Fully stripped and inspected for wear and cracked housings;
•All ball bearings replaced;
•Lower sector shaft machined and housing re-bushed with a self-lubricating synthetic bush;
•Top sector shaft machined and plate re-bushed (if required) with high nickel alloy steel, spiral grooved to match original fitment for durability;
•Column top and bottom bearings replaced/reground as required;
•Lower sector shaft seal replaced with lipped seal (never will leak again);
•Filled with Penrite steering box lubricant;
•New top filler grommet (that you will never have to take off anyway);
•New pitman arm split pin.

Note: An additional $300 will be charged to you as a deposit, and refunded upon return of your steering box. On inspection, if you steering box is found to have a cracked casting, $250 will be retained to repair the casting. Note: Approximately 1 in 10 steering box castings are found to be cracked.

Custom options include (available by pre-order/payment only):

•Bead-blasted alloy housing with black painted steel components (+ $150);
•Tapered roller lower column bearing for better durability than standard (+ $60);
•Reinforcing work for rally/ultimate strength (+ $350: includes lower tapered roller bearing on column shaft).

All models available at the moment. Please state your year and model of vehicle:

•Long column, no steering lock – Flat dash early coupe to ~1967;
•Long column, steering lock, handbrake block on casting - Giulia sedan to ~1971, 1750 Berlina, 1750 GTV, 1300 Junior to ~ 1971 with flat steering wheel;
•Short column, steering lock – All cars ~ 1971 onwards (dished steering wheel).

Or: Supply your own steering box and be charged only for the work that is required to be done to return it to better than as new condition. This may be more or less than the exchange price depending on condition (2 - 3 week turnaround from receipt of your steering box).

*Boxes are guaranteed only to the original buyer, the vehicle that they are originally fitted to, not for cracks developing in the casing or if used for competition.

Phone enquiries: 0402779738 (Luke) or PM me.

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Why you shouldn't run really big tires on early 105's

Daron Walker of Vintage Customs discusses steering box crack repair and why it's a good idea to reinforce the area where the steering box is mounted.

It's worth keeping in mind that these cars were originally designed for 155 x 15 tires which are, by today's standards, skinny. Adding say 50mm of width (205x14 tires for instance) puts corresponding strains on the body structure and the steering box that were not really envisioned by the car's designers. Of course many people do this anyway. Nonetheless, it's worth noting that there are some potential problems. Just sayin'. :whistling:

Go to about 5.25 in the video. (In case you're interested, earlier in the video he has some interesting comments about repro GTA door hinges.)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Awesome thread. I just rebuilt the box for my Father's 1969 Spider Junior. He is a little foggy on reassembling the spring and the collar. The main issue is the rubber bushing. Correct me if I am wrong, but does that rubber bushing need to be on the shaft before sliding it into the tube? Does anyone have any pics of reassembling the spring and collar?
My father thought the rubber bushing goes on from the top of the tube after everything is assembled. Doing it this way, I can not compress the spring enough to put in that little notch thing for the steering wheel. I found a pic on page 10 of the thread of the rubber bushing going on before the shaft is slid through the tube. Just want to confirm this is right because this means I have to take apart the box and start over. Not a huge problem, as I've reassembled the box a couple times and I think I am getting pretty good at it.
Any help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
216 Posts
That link confirms the location of the rubber bushing. Thanks!
Looks like I'll be disassembling and reassembling the box again!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Another satisfied customer of the Burman steering box repair. Excellent write-up, pictures and information! Sure many more will benefit in the future.
Many Thanks
Luis

·
Registered
8 Posts
hello is there any instructions how to disassembly and whole process from start how to and pictures, i take the engine and gearbox out also radiator and fan so only thing that"s left is cracked burman box a little crack. thank you my car is berlina 1750 LHD 1968.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Does anyone have the details on the lower O-Ring? What size is it? I've searched the thread and I've either missed it or it's not there. Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks so much for this! It was a very complete write up on the re-build. I used an Alfaholics box and everything worked great!

I didn't have time to wait for gaskets so I traced my old ones and cut them out by hand out of 1/64" gasket material. It cost about USD $4.00 at NAPA auto parts.

For those of you who don't have time/ money to buy pre-cut gaskets, I am attaching a dxf of the gaskets and a pdf so you can use the dxf to cut the gaskets with a laser cutter or a drag knife cutter like a silhouette ( make sure to choose which side of the line to cut on). Or print the PDF, and use it to cut them out by hand. (btw delete the .txt and re-save as the dxf )

The large gasket doesn't fit the Burman or the Alfaholics case exactly, but it works great on both.

Hopefully this is helpful !

Attachments

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
RE: Gasket sets

I've received more interest as of late for these gaskets....

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/suspension-steering-brakes-wheels-tires/152689-burman-box-rebuild-7.html#post1039168

...and will be placing an order for other Alfisti soon. If interested, please send me a PM. (Rich I hope you don't mind if post this here, it's not that I don't want to start a new thread.....but I think it'll be of max benefit to others looking for the gaskets).

EDIT: I just received my quote for these from the supplier...it seems that he's upped his price by 26%. So the cost will still be $20 US funds for the set.

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
I think the gaskets I got were from you and they were great! Thanks again!!!

·
Registered
563 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #240
...and will be placing an order for other Alfisti soon. If interested, please send me a PM. (Rich I hope you don't mind if post this here, it's not that I don't want to start a new thread.....but I think it'll be of max benefit to others looking for the gaskets.
On the contrary, I'm grateful for your effort and it's great to see this thread become a clearng house for Burman box related info.

221 - 240 of 318 Posts