Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
msiert said:
Do a search for the thread "I smell gas"
Specifically "I smell gas!"

Apparently that exclamation point makes all the difference in the world to the search engine. (as quoted without it, you get 0 results)

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
I did the stuff as described in tipo101's attachments (thank you for posting them) and can say that after 3-4 days, with any amount of fuel in the tank, it does work.

No more stinky trunk, no more wafting gas smell. Do note however that temperatures around here have been slightly cooler, so that may or may not be a factor in the results I got.

The only down side that I can perceive right now is with the removal of the metal check valve at the vapor tank there's a risk of fuel leaking if you turn the car upside down. (so don't turn the car upside down, or you may burn as well along with being crushed)

It wasn't neccisary to use a pin through the restriction thingy up at the intake tube end of things, as between the size of the opening in my plastic manifold and the size of the hose from the vapor tank, a regular bit of vacuum hose (1/8" ID and 1" long per description) jammed into the orginal hose did exactly the same thing without need for any additional stuff to keep it in place. (it's tight in the hose and the nipple hole on the plastic manifold is just small enough to prevent the 'add in' piece from being sucked into the engine)

It only takes a few minutes to do the whole job, and definitely worthwhile trying if you've got odor problems going on.

Worse case scenario is that it won't work and you'll have to revert back to the stock set-up. (well, that and the whole 'flip the car and leak gas' thing too, but I don't expect that happens all too frequently.....)

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
2 tanks of gas later, top up, top down, warm, cold, short trip, long trip, and still no odor of gas in the trunk or cabin.

I'm a happy camper about the lack of 'essence' but still slightly let down as now that it doesn't reek my wife wants to ride with me again.

This puts a damper on how I drive ('stop doing that, it's annoying and you're going to get pulled over'), who I wave at (chicks dig the convertable), and the places I go ('I want to go to the mall, not some bar or diner 30 miles out of town on backroads')

Just one of the sacrifices I guess we have to make now and again....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.