Alfa Romeo Forums banner
161 - 171 of 171 Posts

· But Mad North-Northwest
14,231 Posts
On the 75/Milano 5-speed, first gear is synchronized from neutral, unlike the 105 & 115 cars. But it's got this extra spring in there (parts 34-36 in the diagram) to damp engagement for some reason. On my Milano it never seemed to work very well.

I don't know if the original Alfetta gearbox is the same, but if yours is from a 75/Milano then it has these extra parts and isn't like the 105/115 gearboxes.

· Richard Jemison
8,977 Posts
Regardless of the spring mod changing it to a 2-5 syncro assembly (has to be from a transaxle as syncro design is larger on the inside diameter) results in a far better shifter. Why did they not just do that from the start, and not waste $$ with a different junk design?

· But Mad North-Northwest
14,231 Posts
I've wondered that myself. The Milano setup is pretty gimmicky, and it seems like all you'd need to do is get another of the long #21 pieces and install that instead.

Alfa was just weird about first gear on all these cars for some reason.

· Premium Member
7,575 Posts
Probably because thats how Porsche did it.

· Registered
36 Posts

• I just found one gear box like mine for really good price, so I will use for spares and I will do the 1st gear fix in the best combination.
I know it's an older thread, but I am rebuilding my '78 spider gearbox and need parts for a first gear fix and a second gear freshening as the synchro ring has a groove worn into it and the dog gear is missing three teeth. thanks, Patrick 928-288-0457 or [email protected]

· Registered
1974 GTV
43 Posts

· Registered
it's almost a alfa romeo spider
11,843 Posts
at some point in the very near future.. were are you going to get new parts for this 60 plus year old gearbox?

161 - 171 of 171 Posts