Alfa Romeo Forums banner

81 - 100 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Where do these go?

Gentlemen,

Normally I'm quite thorough photographing things as I take them apart, but disassembling my brake booster I missed a couple of things, which I can't spot in the exploded view earlier in the thread.

Can someone give me a pointer as to where this spring and valve/seal go. It's a 1974 GTV 2000 with dual boosters.

Thanks,

Mark

Attachments

·
Registered
153 Posts
No photos either! Camera shy maybe?

That's where I figured it went but it could plausibly fit either side of the valve. Do you remember if it was the inner side or outer, because it's not shown in the exploded view.

Attachments

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hi guys, any input on my spring location quandry greatly appreciated. See photo in post #81 above.

I also had the opportunity tonight to watch a friend disassemble a 1750 brake booster and that doesn't contain these springs, as per the diagram above. So they must be an evolution into the 2000 unit. Thanks again.

M

Gentlemen,

Normally I'm quite thorough photographing things as I take them apart, but disassembling my brake booster I missed a couple of things, which I can't spot in the exploded view earlier in the thread.

Can someone give me a pointer as to where this spring and valve/seal go. It's a 1974 GTV 2000 with dual boosters.

Thanks,

Mark

·
Premium Member
5,442 Posts
They are definitely part of the pentagon valve. Under the top hat cap. Push in the three little tabs that hold the cap on and pull or pry the cap off. There is a very fragile cartridge filter and the spring and seal set inside there. Pry the tabs back out, press the cap on and you are done.

As far as I know, all floor mounted pedals have this type of separate vacuum booster. There is no evolution - if your friend's booster didn't have this valve it wasn't working properly.

In the USA anyway, these boosters went away when hanging pedals were introduced in 1971. Hanging pedals have the integrated boosters that is still the de-facto standard on cars today. I think your RHD cars couldn't accommodate hanging pedals, hence GTV2000 with dual boosters.

·
Registered
167 Posts
G'day Mark, did you get my email sent a couple of days after the Alfaclub pub night? This explained where these bits go. Let us know if not....
Best regards,
Graham H

>>>>>>>>>
Where do these go?
Gentlemen,
Thanks,
Mark
<<<<<<<

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
If you mean the valve filter....see post#51 ...page 4 of this thread.

..... J&L Spares a UK re-builder of boosters and other brake components ....spoke to gent called Phil .... I phoned back the following day and Phil replied saying yes they have spare pieces available that although not identical to the original ones, would work just as well. Those are the parts that I got in the photo.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hi

My bonaldi servo/booster is causing the brakes to intermittently not release.

Some time back a powder extinguisher was used in the engine bay. The booster maybe totally screwed, however before I condemn it I would like to make sure all the powder is out and the filter on the air valve assembly (the pentagon) isn't blocked, and that the vacuum pipe is sound.

How do I remove the air valve filter? Does the metal cap just pull off? Or if I remove the 5 screws holding the bottom half of the pentagon on will it all fly apart?? Or never reveal properly?

Sorry if these are dumb questions!

Jonathan

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,010 Posts
Remove the 5 screws in the pentagonal cover. There is no spring inside. Remover hte cover. Underneath is a diaphragm with a metal thingie in the middle. Leave it in place if you can.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Bonaldi Brake Servo problems

Jonathan - Yes - the metal cap on the top of the air relief assembly does come off - push in the retaining tags and it will pop off - underneath there is a spring and a metal backed rubber washer. I have 2 servo's which I'm rebuilding at the moment so can photograph if it helps. I would be surprised if much of the powder from your fire extinguisher had got inside the booster.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Releasing stuck plunger/valve

Just stripped 2x boosters and the small valves were stuck under the pentagon valve,there was a lot of crystallised brake fluid around the inner body so I dropped booster body in very hot to boiling water,removed them and gave them a couple of good solid taps on a vice and out popped the stuck valves.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,010 Posts
Good tip. I have 6 of these things, purged of brake fluid as best I could, in storage. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I removed a stuck bullet piston using a grease gun connected to the booster inlet connection
This is great that it worked for you....but it doesn't always work. I have 2 housings in which the valve is still stuck (probably due to corrosion or deterioration of the rubber seals).

·
Registered
50 Posts
Benditalia brake boosters--How to remove stuck bits??

Thx to all who have made this a very useful thread. I hope my issue is not one that has already been addressed--if so, I didn't see it on the BB, so any help is appreciated. Here's the issue:

I am in the process of retrofitting my '69 dual Benditalia boosters on my '69 Spider and am having no luck getting some of the last little pieces out of the main barrel chamber (not real clear of my terminology so excuse the approximate lingo). Referring to the exploded diagram, I was able to remove parts no. 12,3, 4, 5, 6 & 105.14.45.022.02 (??). The parts that appear to be rusted in place and immovable are 7, 8, 9, 20, and 19.

Also, thinking ahead a step, in case any of those frozen parts are bad, does anyone know availability of replacements? An earlier post identified J & L Spare Export Ltd. but I have not tried them yet and am waiting till I can see what I have in hand.

Lastly, what is recommended for lubricating the internals on reassembly? I was planning to use Permatex Ceramic Extreme Brake Part Lubricant. Any problem there?

Many thx in advance.

Scott

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I'm from Germany and I have a bit of a problem.

The brake booster described by you is installed in my trike. There is something wrong with it, so I am assuming that the brake booster is malfunctioning. Unfortunately, the problem is that this is not assignable by Bosch, which literarily means that there is no existent type designation.

I would really appreciate if you could help with this problem of mine and email me a list of spare parts.

Regards,

Andre

·
Registered
50 Posts
Here are some photos of the entire dismantled unit, in case that helps. I have no parts list but all parts should be visible in one of these diagrams.
The long string of tiny little parts comes out of shaft in the long aluminum piece. It was a ***** to get them out. I took a metal bar-b-q skewer and filed it till it was narrow enough to get it in the small opening at the end. Then I pushed until the parts were dislodged and came out the wider end. Be careful not to pierce the black plastic cup that holds them all in. Scary process.
Good luck.

Attachments

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,010 Posts
Homage to you for your ingenuity and patience. I have 6 old ones sitting around. Planned to use them as a boat anchor. You give me hope.

81 - 100 of 109 Posts