Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Caught up with the Jankowits at Goodwood

Had the opportunity to have a close look at the Jankowits at Goodwood, looks a bit odd lined up with all the proper ALFA Romeo's in the paddock but none the less a fascinating vehicle. Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread and unwittingly encouraged me to write the blog ;)

·
Registered
9,238 Posts
Had the opportunity to have a close look at the Jankowits at Goodwood, looks a bit odd lined up with all the proper ALFA Romeo's in the paddock but none the less a fascinating vehicle. Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread and unwittingly encouraged me to write the blog ;)
Congratulations -- I think you wrote an excellent synopsis describing the car's history over time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Very well done Arttidesco, your blog seems to nail the inconsistencies in the story of this car. Trust an Alfa to get mythologised.

The '33 Buick brakes and '35 Ford suspension bits seem to place her firmly in the "special" bracket. A beautiful vehicle nonetheless, and an interesting enough provenance without the embellishments. Thank you for that link to your blog and the collected images.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts

Oscar and Gino Jankovits testing a self made chassis with rear central mounted Alfa Romeo 6C 2300 engine
1936-38 Rijeka surrounding.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Senza acqua

Oscar and Gino Jankovits testing a self made chassis with rear central mounted Alfa Romeo 6C 2300 engine
1936-38 Rijeka surrounding.
Fab photo alfa croatia any idea if there is any significance to the SENZA ACQUA sign ?

According to Google translator in English this translates to 'without water'.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
1981 For Sale Ad

Hello, found this 1981 Ad for the Jankovits Special offered for sale by Templeton in the Feb 1981 issue of Alfa Romeo News Letter AR Section VSCC.

Regards

Ken

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Great find kengta, I don't suppose it will put the current owner employing artists and who know's what else to convince the world his car is a proper Alfa Romeo but at least the records show that he is the only one who believes his hype. I saw the car at the Goodwood Revival a couple of months ago taking part in it's first documented race, it did the marque of ALFA Romeo a huge disservice and I doubt it would have helped putting young Sebastian Vettel into the car either.

·
Registered
7 Posts
There is a section in the Alfa Romeo 6C page on Wikipedia on the "Aerodinamica Spider" that begins, "In 1935, Vittorio Jano, working with the brothers Gino and Oscar Jankovitz, created a one-off mid-engine prototype on a 6C 2300 chassis (no. 700316)"

Myth creation continues? No mention of the modified 1933 Buick brakes and modified 1935 Ford suspension, or the heavy steel body. That "chassis number" is actually the engine number, no?

It relies heavily on the article: "Alfa Romeo Aerodinamica Spider", in Classic and Performance Car, by Mark Dixon, from the December 2008 issue.

·
Registered
9,238 Posts
There is a section in the Alfa Romeo 6C page on Wikipedia on the "Aerodinamica Spider" that begins, "In 1935, Vittorio Jano, working with the brothers Gino and Oscar Jankovitz, created a one-off mid-engine prototype on a 6C 2300 chassis (no. 700316)"

Myth creation continues? No mention of the modified 1933 Buick brakes and modified 1935 Ford suspension, or the heavy steel body. That "chassis number" is actually the engine number, no?

It relies heavily on the article: "Alfa Romeo Aerodinamica Spider", in Classic and Performance Car, by Mark Dixon, from the December 2008 issue.
Whatever is written on Wikipedia is written by someone who had enough interest in a subject matter to put a page together, and that may include people with possible commercial interests and/or involved with myth creating.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Jankovits Article from Velocissima 031985

Here is an article from Velocissima 031985 that is based on an earlier Quattromote? article from Aug 1978. I hope this is of interest and not a repeat.

fwiw

KEN

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Great Article

Thanks for posting this kengta, no mention of Jano or anyone else from ALFA Romeo having any involvement in the Jankowits and no mention of plans for 12 cylinder motors either I notice. :thumbup1:

21 - 33 of 33 Posts