Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Found the other article with pictures of the car in original, 1941 conditions with pop-up headlamps. Can’t scan now, and picture is poor. I’ll see what I can do in the next days.
Extra info is that De Mola has his shop in Rue Jacques de Lalaing, 6, in Brussels. The original owner who commissioned the coachwork was a Mr. Joseph Nothomb from Brussels. Date of “order” might be 1939 instead of under occupation, but the car, entirely hand-beaten wasn’t ready before fall 1941. Tunisian episode also confirmed after Ostende prize winning 1948. Car won prize at Peeble Beach 1972 – someone to check this track? –

Umberto De Mola provided the early history of the car to the following owners, as a plate with his name and address on the car allowed them to contact him. He saw his creation first time from 1948 when invited at Beaulieu, where the car was on loan, in 1983. Umberto De Mola died next year, but his wife and daughter conserved the archives. He also bodied a Lancia of which I know nothing.

As for the Touring 6C2500 Spider, nothing to do with De Mola. I post the whereabouts of that car in the new thread opened by Dr. in the proper section, so we keep good order in the topics/thread titles

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
I have no idea what the yellow and black car actually is, as the 6c2500SS (Tipo 256) with 8c2900A style coachwork, owned by Larry Frye, was red and black when I saw it and it won best in show at Concorso Italiano in 1998. It appears to have been still red and black at the Paolo Alto (California) concours in 2002 (photo link above)

·
Registered
1 Posts
De Mola's relative

I am the grandson of Umberto De Mola, son of his only daugther Myriam De Mola. I have many pictures of my grandfather's cars, and I still own a car he built which is in a museum in Belgium.
I would like to know more about his achievements and I have unique archives, papers, pictures etc that I can scan...

[email protected]

·
Registered
3 Posts
someone have photos of this car? i have been researching for this car and i need some (a lot, realy) of this car. on the web dont have many photos
Thank you!

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
Hmmm, this thread got resurrected!

All the links and images are dead.
Yes, this thread is from before "the great 2005 AlfaBB server crash" where the vBulletin database got corrupted. Simon was able to recover the posted text but all references to images in the file system were lost.

Some links to other sites are not working because those sites have changed over time. Sometimes, you can find these pages using the Wayback Machine at Archive.org.

·
Registered
3 Posts
thank you! I apreciate the informations, it was very good, but I need more photos. On the internet it will be difficult to find, right?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
6C 2500SS by De Mola
The SCM Analysis
This is a car whose origins are shrouded in tall, misty tales. The story most often told is that the car is a rebodied 6C 1750, the original chassis being produced in 1937. Two Italian brothers from Trieste working in Brussels rebodied the car during the 1940-41 period. Somehow the car next surfaced in Tunisia in the early '50s and was purchased by a serviceman and sent to the United States.

At that time, it got converted to a Ford engine, transmission and back axle. In the late '60s this hybrid motorcar was sold to Jackson Brooks in Colorado. He mounted the attention-getting body on a 6C 2500SS chassis and the car ended pu in California by the mid-'70s.

In the late '70s, a noted Norther California Bugatti enthusiast owned the car, but he remains a little vague about the guy who bought it from him for about $30,000 at that time. (Sounds like a lot of money for a "special" car at that time.)

Christie's sold the car at their Los Angeles auction in 1980 and it went to the U.K. It then sold at the Monaco '89 auction to a german (I believe) who says he sacrificed a 1750 Gran Sport chassis to restore the car, but I believe it is 2500-powered.

All in all, it's just a cool body that has been on a series of chassis that were probably all better off with their original coachwork.

Other SCM Profiles from the October 1994 Issue:

21 - 33 of 33 Posts