Marelli Pertronix Ignitor Installation 1979 Spider - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 07:52 PM
CanukSpider

Marelli Pertronix Ignitor Installation 1979 Spider

Has anyone out there installed an MR-LS1 Pertronix Ignitor on a car like mine? I could use a little advice. Mostly about the ignition lobe or cam size and the install.

Any help would be appreciated.
YeeHaw Spring has arrived in the North.

Thanks David (CanukSpider)
Attached Images

Last edited by CanukSpider; 04-07-2009 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Insert graphic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 05:29 AM

I used the LS2? kit on the marelli s103B? distributor in my 1974 GTV. The ignitor didnt fit the supplied base plate and I had to drill and countersink my own holes. The base plate did fit the distributor, but I had to relocate the holes for mounting the ignitor on the base plate. It worked great though after some fabrication. I took my dizzy out and chocked it in a vise so I could get an up close look. As long as the cams come very close to the ignitor, but dont touch you should be fine.

Rockiemosley--Currently 1974 Alfa Romeo GTV 2000 sunday driver and a Ford F-150 sport truck!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 05:55 AM
CanukSpider

Thanks I hope they worked out the kinks for this application. I am just hoping to do this install without removing the distributor. It is just a wee bit of a pain to get my calipers in and measure the lobe while in the car.
My local Alfa shop says it should be the small lobe in the distibutor.
I am either going to have to measure in place or remove the unit to be sure.
Did you run your distributor on a tester before reinstall?
My local Alfa shop doesn't have a distributor machine. I would like to have it spun to check that all is well with advance etc... before putting it back in. I'm going to look for a competent shop to locally spin it up for me. I am going to have to determine a proper curve for my particular combo of part's. I have Carbs on this one and a different exhaust. So it may need a tweak or two to the stock setup perhaps.

Thanks much for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 06:03 AM

No I didnt have mine checked on a distributor machine- maybe a good idea if the distributor has alot of miles- but mine is low mileage so I didnt bother. It is really much easier to setup if you take the distributor out of the car- its not that hard to do, and you can check advance with a timing light after the reinstall. Not sure what your talking about "small lobe" on mine I used the reccomended clearance between the peak of the cam and the electronic ignitor. I think I used a feeler gauge rather than calipers. Just time to 38 degrees at maximum advance- about 5000rpm and you should be fine with those mods.

Rockiemosley--Currently 1974 Alfa Romeo GTV 2000 sunday driver and a Ford F-150 sport truck!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 10:14 AM
CanukSpider

Thanks Rockie, In the instructions I posted it refers to the cam or lobe sizes. What I am told is that single or dual point distributors have different cams. Mine is set up as a single point but I am told it should be a dual point setup.
The other stuff I am after is a modified advance curve to suit my performance needs.
See this link for more info but it only scratches the surface of dizzy tuning.
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/gt-1...nce-curve.html
Back in the day I used to spin dizzy's myself for racers.

Are you one of the famous racing Mosley's?

Thanks for your help again. You Rock!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 10:28 AM
CanukSpider

I need some one who can use one of these. This is a vintage one I just missed.
Attached Images

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 12:22 PM

Hey Canuk-
Thanks but no im not one of the racing Mosley's except when a BMW 2002 pulls up beside me.... It sounds like you have a different distributor than mine so I dont think I can help much. In general the pertronix is an easy setup- ive done these on several alfas and BMWs and generally you position the module so it sits very close but not touching the lobes of the cam that used to drive the points. My baseplate fitted the distributor but the holes to mount the ignitor were in the wrong place so I had to make new holes to mount the thing to the supplied baseplate.

Good Luck

Last edited by rockiemosley; 04-10-2009 at 04:07 AM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 03:38 AM
CanukSpider

Installation process

I will attempt to document the install process in a few photos and text. I will post the results.
The MR-LS1 is the recommended unit from Pertronix for quite a few Alfa's.
We'll see how it work's out.

Alfa-Romeo
1965-78 Guilia .................................................. ............................... Marelli MR-LS1
1969-72 Berlina .................................................. ............................ Marelli MR-LS1
1969-73 Gt Veloce .................................................. ........................ S166B Marelli MR-LS1
1969-79 Spider Veloce .................................................. .................. S145C, CX, S166B Marelli MR-LS1
1972-79 Alfetta .................................................. .............................. S145C, CX, S166B Marelli MR-LS1
1974 Spider .................................................. ............................. S145C, CX, S166B Marelli MR-LS1

Photo is not the exact kit I will shoot that one.
Attached Images

Last edited by CanukSpider; 04-13-2009 at 11:55 PM. Reason: text issues
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 07:00 PM

Get it installed yet?

hey there,

i have a 1979 spider with around 100k miles on it, and i'm thinking about installing a petronix ignitor but i don't want to get myself in over my head.

have you had success installing it yet? i know that i have a marelli distributor but i don't know what the model # is.

regards,
mitch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode