Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just discovered the Alfa Montreal uses the ZF S 5-18/3 transmission.
I have one not installed in a Montreal, but my vintage Opel Ascona race car. Unfortunately, it is locked up except for 4th gear. Are there any Montreal owners out there who may have a contact for a transmission shop that has some knowledge about this transmission?
Thanks,
Rob

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
Can't help with a shop but I could send you the ZF service manual if you'd like. If so, please send me your email address in a private message and I'll send it to you.

·
Richard Jemison
7,584 Posts
ZF repair

ZF Has a US rebuild facility. I have a box with their sticker on it. Don`t know where it is but Google should.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
If you're in LA, I bet Santo's shop in Northridge can deal with it.
Or in the Bay Area, Tom Sahines (ARA and AROC tech hotlines).
Andrew

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I have just discovered the Alfa Montreal uses the ZF S 5-18/3 transmission.
I have one not installed in a Montreal, but my vintage Opel Ascona race car. Unfortunately, it is locked up except for 4th gear. Are there any Montreal owners out there who may have a contact for a transmission shop that has some knowledge about this transmission?
Thanks,
Rob
try the maserati biturbo... if memory serves, it uses a similar zf box. if not exactly the same i reckon the guts can be pillage to repair your ascona.

here in america people give these yuppie massers away or you can find a whole car in relatively good shape for peanuts in the wrecking yard

good luck

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Yes, the Maserati Biturbo and Biturbo Spyder also uses the ZF S5-18/3 gear box. Be aware that later Biturbos from (I think) 88 or 89 has a different gear box. Also note that it's possible the gear ratios are different from the Ascona, but many of these gear boxes have the ratios written on a plate on them.

ZF made a large number of variants of the all round S5-18/3 box, and they may or may not be a drop-in replacement ratio wise ...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts