Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my 1961 ZF's steering box's lower seal removed (pivot shaft, control arm). It measured about 41mm on my calipers. I say "about" because it was distorted a bit from the removal. I have purchased two seals that do not fit so far. The 40mm seal had the wrong o.d. but with an i.d. that is perfect. The o.d. just falls right in however. Too loose. Tried a 42.5 but is too big. The i.d. was too large as well. Anyone else had this problem who might have found a solution?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hello!

Try classic-Alfa or Alfastop in GB. Tony Stevens from Alfastop can help you!
I have bought mine from Tony.
Greetings from Carintia-Austria
Gernot

·
Registered
377 Posts
If I recall correctly, these are normally 25x36x7mm, and usually marked on the face of the seal.
Is there any identification on your old seal?
Joe

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tony’s is the one that is too small. It’s a 40mm from him which everyone lists for it. Not sure why mine is different, or that seal is. I don’t have the old one here, Joe. I had to have a shop pull the pivot shaft off. They have it. I will get the numbers off of it. I am told there are 3 numbers to narrow it down. It’s sure not 36...according to my digital calipers.

I’m hoping a bearing company will have it.

·
Premium Member
13,333 Posts
A few years ago someone on the ABB either sold these seals or identified the type and supplier. I don't remember which it was but I bought one. The brand is TCM Dichtomatik and the number is 28x42.5x8TC-BX.

I have not needed it yet and therefore cannot be sure that it is correct.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Spare Parts Catalog lists the same part number for all 750 and 101. I have written down from 25 mm x 36 mm x 7 mm ……. but I can't find the old sample to verify this. If you have Motion Industries (national bearing supplier), close by … take the old and the steering gear to them to verify.

·
Super Moderator
11,313 Posts
Ready? I identified these some years ago, and have spares (2) which I cannot locate! However, IF you get the numbers off one that fit at one time, you CAN source the replacement from "Metric Seals" in Noblesville Indiana. They are my go-to source for seals.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
This is a new one that does not fit and the original. Unfortunately my shop manager ruined the exact area where the number is... all that is left is C3, and BA....something where the number would be. That B might be an 8. Zeroed out correctly now.

Attachments

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I may just send it to your parts place, Gordon, see if a Hoosier can get it done. Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
11,313 Posts
You might try ordering several different sizes to see which one it is...Wait!!!
Lookie here!

·
Registered
377 Posts
There seems to be a zero error in your digital calipers.
That first three photos show a 25x36 seal that you are measuring as 40.25.
Joe

·
Registered
398 Posts
Hi all,

For the steering box (scatola guida) , Corteco mentions only seize: 26x35x7 mm in their catalog from 1963.
Sorry, I have no model so I can't check whether it is finally 35 or 36 mm. It could always be a printing error in the catalog too of course.
The BA could refer to a certain type of seal as explained in the catalog.

Thierry

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There seems to be a zero error in your digital calipers.
That first three photos show a 25x36 seal that you are measuring as 40.25.
Joe
Hmmmmm. D'oh. Those are sold as 40s too. Well, if the right one size-wise fits, great. I'll try zeroing that out again, but you can see it on the scale, you're right, as always, Joe. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
11,313 Posts
Part number? Car model #?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts