Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning. I am tampering with a ZF steering box. After replacing the seal and gaskets etc. I wonder.

The play at the middle position is perfect, i.e. no play at all. But at the extreme positions, fully right and fully left a play appears. The play is so big I can feel it. I have adjusted the bolt/nut but it is still there.

I have a friend who has a Duetto with a ZF box too. His car has the very same appearance when I put it on supports and test it. My own Burman on my 1967 Duetto is as tight as ever over the whole register.

So, am I missing something?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Wille,

Mine has the same problem...
Did you find an answer to your issue?
I heard that ZF were common to have that problem.
I tried to take out the play at the sides with the screw but when you take out the play at the sides then the box it super stiff at the centre...
Cheers

Max

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Wille,

Mine has the same problem...
Did you find an answer to your issue?
I heard that ZF were common to have that problem.
I tried to take out the play at the sides with the screw but when you take out the play at the sides then the box it super stiff at the centre...
Cheers

Max
Nope, I tried everything. Put the ZF back in the Duetto, same problem. Tightend the nut, which only made it harder to operate. The I removed the ZF and tried to adjust it again in the bench. Didn't work. So we replaced it with a Burman that I had on the shelf. That Burman works like a dream.

Maybe the ZF should have that play at the ends, because the steering geometry and forces always bring the wheel back in the centre position? Very strange indeed.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Many thanks Wille!

I was used to have a Burman but unfortunately got broken and I now have this ZF...
The advantage of the ZF is the weight, if I may.

Cheers

Maxmax

·
Registered
254 Posts
I think the ZF's are supposed to be like that, Its the same in my GTJ. As I rembember it, it has about 10-15 cm "circumferential" play at left and right lock position. I have adjusted to as close to 0 play in mid position as possible, just before it "bites" . In the Spider with a Burmann box there is almost identical very little play from lock to lock. I think its a better mechanical construction :)

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
In my experience, even the best ZF boxes have a lot of play when you get away from center. The Burman "recirculating ball" type boxes are MUCH better!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts