Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would like to correspond with people who have rebuilt 750 and very early 101 "Kidney-shaped" steering gears.
NOTE: the "square-shaped" (2nd photo) steering gears are completely different inside, so they are not of interest.
ZF Kidney Shaped steering box.JPG
101 Square-top ZF Steering Box.jpg

·
Registered
622 Posts
To all, and especially to 'early Giulietta' owners ( 1954-1956 cars)

I would have two questions to ask you all, for us to learn more about the history of the 750 series steering box.
As Carl mentioned yet, the quest is only about the first series steering box ( 750 series), thanks.

Is there someone knowing more about the very early steering boxes ( 1954-1955) having other, or less internal parts than the later 750 series steering boxes from 1956-1958 ?

From the parts catalogs, we know yet of the differences that had parts 8,9,10,11,and 12 (as in the red 1961 catalog table 90 ) due to the different stamped ZF numbers L480007LL or L480009LL on the body of that steering box.

Is there someone having another ZF number than numbers L 480007LL or L480009LL on any '54-'55 car ?
The number can be found, stamped on the body of the steering box under the kidney shaped cover at the engine side, so it can be noticed in the engine compartment with the steering box mounted .

If so it would be great to let us know.

Thank you all,

Thierry

·
Registered
66 Posts
To all, and especially to 'early Giulietta' owners ( 1954-1956 cars)

I would have two questions to ask you all, for us to learn more about the history of the 750 series steering box.
As Carl mentioned yet, the quest is only about the first series steering box ( 750 series), thanks.

Is there someone knowing more about the very early steering boxes ( 1954-1955) having other, or less internal parts than the later 750 series steering boxes from 1956-1958 ?

From the parts catalogs, we know yet of the differences that had parts 8,9,10,11,and 12 (as in the red 1961 catalog table 90 ) due to the different stamped ZF numbers L480007LL or L480009LL on the body of that steering box.

Is there someone having another ZF number than numbers L 480007LL or L480009LL on any '54-'55 car ?
The number can be found, stamped on the body of the steering box under the kidney shaped cover at the engine side, so it can be noticed in the engine compartment with the steering box mounted .

If so it would be great to let us know.

Thank you all,

Thierry

Hi,

00367 came together with three (3) ZF boxes, since there have been about 15 owners of the car I can't for sure tell you if I have the original one.. All of them are stamped with number "480009LL" and on the cover "480Gd7"

Carl, according to my spare parts catalog, N.608-11/57 (side 368), the pos.number 8-12 are not the same as I think you are asking for.. Can you please attach a photo of your catalog side?

Here some photos of my parts:

//Bjorn

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The reason I opened this post was to find others that have successfully disassembled and reassembled the ZF box with the kidney-shaped cover that I could discuss a couple of issues with.

As part of writing a document on my experience, I got side tracked into when was the 480007 used and when was the 48009 used … the part differences you mentions.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Hi Bjorn,

Indeed the numbers 8>12 in the 776 have another number in the 608 catalog, there they are the : 25,26,27,28 and 29.

Thierry

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You show disassembled pictures, did you do your own rebuild? If so can I ask a few questions?
  • How did you determine the correct position to place the Tim Ken bearing (the pin on the output shaft) into the helix as you installed the top cover?
  • When totally assembled but without any linkage bolted to the steering box, what did you find for the number of steering wheel turns from "center" (Woodruff key at the top)... to the left lock and from "center" to right lock?
  • Did you find a source for the two bearing races on each end of the helix?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Carl,

It's now 2 years since I made the renovation of the ZF box, not sure I remember all details... Chooses the best one of the three "48009" I've got.
It was straight on to assemble, parts were in excellent condition, only replaced the sealing ring (pos 34) for the steering gear shaft. Can't remember there was any problem to find right position for meeting the helix. But a little bit tricky to adjust the locking screw (pos36). Please take care of not getting the helix locked in "zero"-position (Woodruff key at the top) and therefore with this old ZF-box its very hard to avoid som play in the zero-position.

- I measured the turns from zero position in both direction and got exact same result as you mentioned earlier.

- Sorry, I have no info about source for the two bearings (pos 42 and 43), my ones were in perfect condition.

Compared with the 105-version, Burman box, which has a more sophisticated and precise design with ballnut/- screw, the balls are preloaded and without any play in the "helix"

Burman box:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts