Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had 2 that I bought from and Alfa supplier and I can't seem to find one of them. Forgot who sold it to me as well.

I need one.

Greg

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump. Still looking.

Found the instructions and it looks like I bought it on eBay earlier in the year. I have the OEM parts to complete the tensioner.

There's not a lot to the original design. I would have thought one of the suppliers would have copied and picked this up.

Greg

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
I looked into making a variation of the Zat tensioner, not too hard to do,
But I was cautioned against selling any. The liability issues are huge.
Do you have any hydrolic ones greg? They work great dry.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
I looked into making a variation of the Zat tensioner, not too hard to do,
But I was cautioned against selling any. The liability issues are huge.
Exactly.

Do you have any hydrolic ones greg? They work great dry.
Nope, we go with another solution. We TIG weld a fitting into the mechanical tensioner so it can't back off.

·
Premium Member
13,990 Posts
The liability issues are huge.
I would think that the risk would be less than if you sold modified suspension parts, and there are several individuals who do that.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I have and have used pretty much every variation of tensioners. I don't like the mechanical one-period. It will work in a motor sports application by either pinning its rotation in place or as RJ says, simply rotate it to use up all the spring travel. But..

It roller is plastic and can wear & break down and the entire thing is a flimsy casting that looks like pot metal. Use it as stock with a hotter cam or upgraded valve springs and you have a guaranteed failure.

The hydraulic one is good when used dry. I feel it is not enough tension for a race motor that way though.

I modified a hydraulic one to use a bolt down the center so I could rigidly tension it. It works well, but is big and bulky. This is now installed on the Milano I race in LeMons. Belt skip is now a thing of the past. I run at 7300 RPM red lines all day long for double 8 hour race days. That's 3 to 4 races a year for two years going with this setup. The motor has even been spun backwards when the car was spun.

The ZAT tensioner I have is now on the GTV6 and I really like it. Its simple, robust and easily adjusted.

Belt technology has advanced light years since these motors were designed. The original tensioners were made to accommodate the weak points of the belts of that day.

I get the whole liability thing. That's where our country is going wrong... Personal responsibility, its a good thing.

Maybe I will post a drawing of the Zat tensioner and "open source it".

Greg

·
Premium Member
13,990 Posts
I bought one of the last ones from Tom Zat. He said that he was going to destroy the tooling. It's a pity that he got out of Alfa's.

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
The best alternative is the Sperry Valve Works solution, but they are long gone.
Yes the sperry ones were nice. I put one on a customers 3.0 milano that had the sperry stage 3 heads. That car was quite a ride.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,389 Posts
I have 4 new Alfa Heaven Staybelt tensioners for sale. In bags with instructions and ready to go.

I will hold onto one for Greg. Please give us a call if you want one of the others. $98.00 + shippping.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got it, Thanks Joe. You the man.

Greg

·
Premium Member
13,990 Posts
Thanks Ed.
Your welcome.

I have one on my GTV6 and I had one on my Milano Verde. I will not use any other type.

·
Registered
666 Posts
We have 10 or so, new on the shelf also. $60.00 ea. Customer will need to re-use there old bearing(Original type), we have some used bearings also.

Alfa Parts Exchange (925) 200-1998

1 - 18 of 18 Posts