1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ZAGATOS: Fiat 600 TS Coupe 1956 & Abarth 500 coupé 1957

Hello everybody,
maybe anyone has some infos on these cars?:confused:

I read the 600 Coupé (a one-off?) was displayed at 1956 Turin Motor Show but it seems the car doesn't exist anymore. As the 500, I've been told nearly 15 were built. Does anyone know any owner?

Thank you very much to who will be able to answer me.

·
Registered
161 Posts
By '57 500 Abarth Coupe, you mean the Zagato model? From memory the prototype sold in the US last year, after being advertised for quite some time at around US$200k! Not sure where it went.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
By '57 500 Abarth Coupe, you mean the Zagato model? From memory the prototype sold in the US last year, after being advertised for quite some time at around US$200k! Not sure where it went.
Yes I mean the Zagato model. Ovidio Capelli is always pictured near his white car. I know the prototype, thank you. But maybe someone on the forum knows some owner of one of them.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Fiat 600 TS coupe picture

Hi, i have added a picture of the Fiat 600 TS.

In my view Abarth has seen this car and bought the design.
Developing this prototype with Zagato into the 750gt.

This is my idea, maybe someone knows it would be interesting to learn about the early days of the 750gt model.

Best regards, Vincent.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi, i have added a picture of the Fiat 600 TS.

In my view Abarth has seen this car and bought the design.
Developing this prototype with Zagato into the 750gt.

This is my idea, maybe someone knows it would be interesting to learn about the early days of the 750gt model.

Best regards, Vincent.
Thank you! Great pic! I didn't look at her in the front yet!

It would be great to know if the car is still in existance.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Fiat 500 Zagato

Just a short reaction about the 500 Zagato.

If you mean the Fiat 500 Abarth Zagato, 3 cars were build.

Then there also exists a Steyr Daimler Puch IMP 500.
About 15 cars were build.

Best regards, Vincent.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just a short reaction about the 500 Zagato.

If you mean the Fiat 500 Abarth Zagato, 3 cars were build.

Best regards, Vincent.
How can you confirm only 3 Fiat-Abarth 500 Zagato? Do you know if they're still in existance?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Fiat Abarth 500 Zagato

Hi,

Well i am into Abarth for quite some years now.
For what i know only a few prototype's are are made to race in the 500 cc class.
It could be 4 cars or 5, but in this range.

Maybe John de Boer can comment on this !?

If you search for pictures on the internet, you will find a lot of information.
The cars are unique in detail, not having the same bumpers, door handles etc, this helps counting.

Best regards, Vincent.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi,

Well i am into Abarth for quite some years now.
For what i know only a few prototype's are are made to race in the 500 cc class.
It could be 4 cars or 5, but in this range.

Maybe John de Boer can comment on this !?

If you search for pictures on the internet, you will find a lot of information.
The cars are unique in detail, not having the same bumpers, door handles etc, this helps counting.

Best regards, Vincent.
Thank you very much for these info.

I looked at my copy of the Italian Car Registry: 8 cars are mentioned.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Fiat 600 Zagato & Fiat 500N Zagato

If you check page 177 (Fiat 600) of the 1994 edition of The Italian Car Registry, you will find two Fiat 600 Zagato that were "born" in 1955. The first of the two cars became "Abarth" during 1956 but I am not certain about the second. It does seem as if Abarth gained an "exclusive" arrangement for the basic Zagato body style that was produced (with some changes) during the 1956 - 1960 time period. Very few of the "smooth roof" cars were built early on before the standard "Double Bubble" (doppia gobba) shape was adopted.

Zagato did at least one "elaborata Zagato" that was basically a trim package on an otherwise standard Fiat 600 body. I would not be surprised if there were additional examples but they are difficult to recognize among all the "elaborata" versions that came from many other coachbuilders as well.

I can identify ten Fiat 500N Zagato cars by chassis number today and evantually there may be as many as fifteen or sixteen by the time more research is done.

John

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you check page 177 (Fiat 600) of the 1994 edition of The Italian Car Registry, you will find two Fiat 600 Zagato that were "born" in 1955. The first of the two cars became "Abarth" during 1956 but I am not certain about the second. It does seem as if Abarth gained an "exclusive" arrangement for the basic Zagato body style that was produced (with some changes) during the 1956 - 1960 time period. Very few of the "smooth roof" cars were built early on before the standard "Double Bubble" (doppia gobba) shape was adopted.

Zagato did at least one "elaborata Zagato" that was basically a trim package on an otherwise standard Fiat 600 body. I would not be surprised if there were additional examples but they are difficult to recognize among all the "elaborata" versions that came from many other coachbuilders as well.

I can identify ten Fiat 500N Zagato cars by chassis number today and evantually there may be as many as fifteen or sixteen by the time more research is done.

John
Thank you "Bible" John

that's exactely what Michele Marchianò told me: 15 cars. But I'd love to know if any 500 GT Coupé Zagato is still in existance and where she might be located currently.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Qty of cars

Look at this picture, it is one of the famous pictures of the 500 Zagato.
It shows why it was not a big succes.
Simply most people won't fit in.

Really i have a Monomille.
If you are taller than 1.75 cm, you won't fit in.

It is nice to learn the exact amount of cars that were build.
Most of them will still exist.

Best regards, Vincent.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Look at this picture, it is one of the famous pictures of the 500 Zagato.
It shows why it was not a big succes.
Simply most people won't fit in.

Really i have a Monomille.
If you are taller than 1.75 cm, you won't fit in.

It is nice to learn the exact amount of cars that were build.
Most of them will still exist.

Best regards, Vincent.
you own a Monomille?!?!?!?!?!? That's fantastic!! Can you post some pictures?

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Fiat 500 Zagato

In the photo above, Ovidio Capelli is stooping next to 033385, a car that he raced, but it was clearly not the only similar car he raced. Ovidio's first race in one of these cars was held before 033385 was built. Because Capelli was a dealer and probable instigator of the series, he could have raced in several different cars on his way to the 1958 class championship so we should not assume that he used 033385 more often than others ... even if it does seem likely.

At least four of these cars are known to exist today. Last I knew, 003907 was in the USA. It is the car that won its class in what seems to be the first competition outing for these cars. The hill climb "Coppa San Marino - Rimini", was held 27 April 1958 and four(?) similar cars raced, including Capelli who was third in class. I am not absolutely convinced that the fourth place car was actually a Zagato but it was labelled as such in the published results. Regardless, the class-winning car is the only one of four (or three?) that I can identify by chassis number. This leaves at least two or three additional "early" chassis numbers that are not yet identified as all of the other cars are "too late" to have been there according to registration records. It is possible that a car that seems "too late" (based on official data) might have run on Prova plates but this was not encouraged at the time.

Additional survivors are: 033171 in Japan, 055508 in Germany and 055769 in Japan. There may be yet another in a collection in Italy?

John

·
Registered
161 Posts
Doing a quick web search, it seems that most of these have survived. The model gets a brief mention on the Intermeccanica website:

Intermeccanica IMP

The website mentions 21 IMP's built.

These cars were similar, but not the same as the Abarth (longer nose, no double bubble). I'm not sure if there was any Zagato involvement. Additionally, as per most custom cars, they vary in detail within the production run too.

I have a nice 1/24th scale resin kit of the Zagato 500GT, but it has been unresponsive to watering, voodoo or enlarging rays thus far.

·
Registered
267 Posts
These cars were similar, but not the same as the Abarth (longer nose, no double bubble). I'm not sure if there was any Zagato involvement.
The lines might be influenced by the Abarth 500. To get closer the name of Frank Reisner should be thrown in. The Intermeccanica IMP started its life in 1961 ( not 1957 ) and it is to add that the Puch 500 engine could be tuned incredible in comparison to the FIAT 500.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My copy of Italian Car Registry says 11 cars (3 without a chassis number). I emailed Anthony Berni. Hope he will help me to find an example.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Intermeccanica IMP

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum - first of all let me say it seems there is some incredible knowledge and passion around here, and not only in regards to Alfa Romeo! Congrats!
I just acquired what to my knowledge is one of five remaining Intermeccanica IMP 700 GT, and would love to get in contact with other owners of etceterinis.
Especially interesting would be to have my IMP and a Fiat 500 Zagato side by side some day (car is based in Germany / Austria)
And yes, you really should not be taller than 1,80m to "comfortably" fit inside.
Nevertheless, it is a great car! I just had it shipped to my garage this weekend and only did 15 km on it so far - but I already know I will really like it a lot...

Looking forward to any comments, and will post some more info/pics soon
Sven

(Pictures still from the former owner on his numberplates)

Attachments

·
Registered
161 Posts
Wow! That is a beautiful car Sven, I'm glad you're enjoying it! :)

As an aside, last year I was contacted by a gentleman who wanted me to scan parts of an Abarth 500 Zagato for recreation in CAD, and eventually a 1:1 scale replica. I believe the 'remains' were in Germany. I was keen to proceed with the job but it never eventuated. :(

Now I am doing a job for Vincent...small world.

Anyway, I would love to see more pictures Sven!

Cheers,
Duane

1 - 20 of 25 Posts