Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
What was it? (I hate that CL you can't see history of ads posted..grr.)

·
Registered
702 Posts
That is not cheap. That is about market value for the car. There was an article on them in Hemmings Sports & Exotics a month or so back.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Sometimes these magazines give a car a MV but problem is you can't buy them for that price.:( Maybe the sellers aren't reading the articles:confused:

·
Registered
518 Posts
AlfaMale is right, it really depends on the history and condition of the car. Lets say it needs plenty of bodywork and has little history, 30-35K is right

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't believe there were any photos attached.

Jay

·
Registered
395 Posts
The real things in nice condition should fetch $100-$150k+ at auction nowadays. I have also seen very good re-creations in aluminum. So no telling what we had here.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Do we have a conversation on a different car? Folks who saw the ad, was it a Junior Zagato (Like the one in Hemmings)? Or was it a Giulietta SZ (Sprint Zagato)?

The first one goes from $10 - $40k or so depending on condition. For the latter one I don't think you could buy a basket case for $40k and very nice examples are approaching $200k. As Phil pointed out, if an SZ, could have been a recreation though I am in the area and I am not aware of a real or recreated SZ in Redondo Beach. Anthony, Adan?

Anybody remember what it was?

Mike

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
Do we have a conversation on a different car? Folks who saw the ad, was it a Junior Zagato (Like the one in Hemmings)? Or was it a Giulietta SZ (Sprint Zagato)?

The first one goes from $10 - $40k or so depending on condition. For the latter one I don't think you could buy a basket case for $40k and very nice examples are approaching $200k. As Phil pointed out, if an SZ, could have been a recreation though I am in the area and I am not aware of a real or recreated SZ in Redondo Beach. Anthony, Adan?

Anybody remember what it was?

Mike

The only SZ in that area that I know of is in the hands of an owner who knows what it is and it's real value. A basket case SZ with correct matching number motor these days fetches anywhere from $50K-$75K. Two possibilities: someone was having fun with people on craigs list (which I've seen before) or someone out there got their "barn find".

·
Registered
73 Posts
A Giulietta SZ with good history will now fetch well north of $200,000, matching numbers or not. That figure is based on recent actual sales.
A basket case for less than $75,000?....I'll take all you can find!!

Chris

·
Registered
395 Posts
I know of (and have a picture of ) a Giulietta SZ in near-basket case condition that was for sale on Ebay over 1 year ago (the "pig" car). It was a "no sale" at something like $85k. It was in the L.A. area and subsequently sold privately. These cars rarely come up for sale and prices have been on a rocket ship lately. I agree with the assessment that these should go closer to 200k restored and correct.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The reason I put Zagato(?) in the title was that in the original posting, the word zagato was misspelled. It really seemed that they didn't really know what they were talking about.

Probably just adds to the mystery.

Jay

·
Registered
395 Posts
The reason I put Zagato(?) in the title was that in the original posting, the word zagato was misspelled. It really seemed that they didn't really know what they were talking about.

Probably just adds to the mystery.

Jay
I found part of the original Craiglist listing on this car; here is the text I was able to come up with: Date: 2007-06-28, 4:43PM PDT. 1961 Alfa Romeo Zagota. Same owner for last 44 years with all documentation,will have photos this weekend, ...

Hopefully, there are enough leads to get to the bottom of this!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts