Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The shop manual says to take the valve covers off when replacing the cam belt but (half way through the job) I can't see any reason too???

What am I missing?

·
Registered
652 Posts
If you know the car and the cam pulleys have been marked at tdc then you can change the belt with confidence relying on the external markings.

·
Premium Member
27,526 Posts
The shop manual says to take the valve covers off when replacing the cam belt but (half way through the job) I can't see any reason too???

What am I missing?
You do not have to remove valve covers if you use timing marks on front cam hubs.

Print this timing template off and with engine at top dead center "P" mark on front pulley the small scribe marks of front cam hubs held to cams by acorn nut should match the 69 and 72.5 degree marks on template.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/att...95/66906d1179330802-cam-timing-cam-timing.pdf

You also have to be sure on GTV6 and Milano V6 engines that rotor button in distributor is at #1 spark plug terminal in cap.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Excellent advice as usual

Thanks folks I printed the template and we'll see of everything is OK.
I am doing the job a little every day as time, job and family permits so any time saved is a day closer to driving again.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
You only have to remove the cam covers when you... dang it! the drivers side cam just moved on me, and now the distributors out of whack too!

I always set the engine to TDC before a cam belt change so that I can get things back in alignment if anything moves. Since I usually adjust the valves at the same time as the cam belt, removing the covers is little penalty.

·
Premium Member
27,526 Posts
You only have to remove the cam covers when you... dang it! the drivers side cam just moved on me, and now the distributors out of whack too!

I always set the engine to TDC before a cam belt change so that I can get things back in alignment if anything moves. Since I usually adjust the valves at the same time as the cam belt, removing the covers is little penalty.
Hate it when that happens. Did it jump to right or left? Probably right as #2 intake is open when Right Head cam moves (I am making a guess you are in RHD land if driver's side cam move and knocked dizzy out of time).

Remember planes, trains, boats and automobiles right side is always viewed from ****pit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts