Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I must confess....

I "wrecked" the 92 last night. I was following another car down the back road leading from my home to the interstate to go to the KY AROC Christmas dinner. We were zipping along as normal on the curvy road. And then behold what should appear from beneath his rear bumper....it wasn't Santa and his reindeer....but a log cut for someone's fireplace I assume. The Spider struck the log and made quite a clatter...skidded on the dam log....I knew what was the matter.:D:D:D It looks to have missed the bumper, but the hood was not so lucky....will need replaced. The mounts...were new...probably shot. And the sump guard...well it did its job....it saved the pans. The guard is a magled mess. I'll have to get the car up on a lift and see what else may be damaged. Probably couple grand in damages before it all done.

I guess I'll see how good Hagerty is.

Bah Humbug!

John M

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
I must confess....

I "wrecked" the 92 last night. I was following another car down the back road leading from my home to the interstate to go to the KY AROC Christmas dinner. We were zipping along as normal on the curvy road. And then behold what should appear from beneath his rear bumper....it wasn't Santa and his reindeer....but a log cut for someone's fireplace I assume. The Spider struck the log and made quite a clatter...skidded on the dam log....I knew what was the matter.:D:D:D It looks to have missed the bumper, but the hood was not so lucky....will need replaced. The mounts...were new...probably shot. And the sump guard...well it did its job....it saved the pans. The guard is a magled mess. I'll have to get the car up on a lift and see what else may be damaged. Probably couple grand in damages before it all done.

I guess I'll see how good Hagerty is.

Bah Humbug!

John M
Some one once said that confession is good for the soul; not going to get any from me here except in generalities. And no I had nothing to do with the yule log you picked up.

Accidents happen just like sh*t happens.

My sympathies to you and good luck on the repair. At least you have a story to tell about it instead of some foolish thing, like you weren't looking at the road because you were arguing with your child in the back seat etc.

My season has not been off to a good start since around May of this year and it continues in that pattern. Not car related, though, that would be a simpler fix most likely, but everything that requires fixing only needs more money thrown at it. Maybe, I should start buying lottery tickets; obviously, I'm not the holder of the $40 million unclaimed ticket sold at ARCO last week. The highlight of the year, Pat and my oldest daughter marrying and beginning a new life on her own.

Take care and spend money, bolster the economy on that Alfa repair. Now there's an idea, we should all spend more money on our Alfas for Christmas !!!!

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
John,

Is it going to be a problem matching the paint?

For a short term fix I was thinkin'.......doesn't Bud have a white Spider?!:eek:

Other then your mishap , it was great seein' y'all Lexingtonians. Great party!

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
John,

Is it going to be a problem matching the paint?

For a short term fix I was thinkin'.......doesn't Bud have a white Spider?!:eek:

Other then your mishap , it was great seein' y'all Lexingtonians. Great party!

Great to see you too. I don't want to use Bud's hood...it'll make the car too slow!!!

Paint won't be too much trouble. Probably end up painting the entire front to just blend. So bumper and both front fenders. That is pretty normal. I'll look at it as an opportunity to get that chip in the fender fixed!:D

Best Regards,
John M

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheryl and Silver...

Thanks for the condolences. Only thing hurt was the car. Fortunately...didn't wind up in the ditch as the car skated on the log for a bit.

Cheryl...you said it best....**** happens!

Best Regards,
John M

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As the dust settles from this misadventure...I can say my biggest problem will be coming up with the decaling for beneath the hood. Does anyone know of a very good, near original or original source for the decals?

Best Regards,
John M

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Last Feb 15 my son ended up in the ditch because of a loose box (big institutional package of paper napkins) some kind soul thoughtlessly let fly from his pickup bed. Son noticed it and pulled right to avoid it. His right wheels went about 12 inches off the road onto frozen turf and when he pulled back onto the roadway the tail of the car didn't want to come with everything else. He ended up in the ditch with some bruises for him and his passenger and a trashed '92 164S. Sad for the hardware, glad for no serious injuries. "Don't let anything obscure your forward visibility," is the lesson I take from this and from John's experience. "Don't take anything for granted," is another take-home.

I'm still simmering from the insurance co. responses (or lack thereof).

Stay safe.

MIchael

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
As the dust settles from this misadventure...I can say my biggest problem will be coming up with the decaling for beneath the hood. Does anyone know of a very good, near original or original source for the decals?

Best Regards,
John M
I'm pretty sure that Bill Gilham reproduces decals for the older cars. I'm not sure about the newer cars. But if he can't help you, maybe he can suggest someone that can. He's on the bb; might be Hooligan or something like that in Oregon.

Good luck!

I was close, but not close enough; had to look at my cheat sheet. Bill Gilham is Hooliganalfa on the bb. Sorry....

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
John, Looking at the hood last night it didn't look that bat from the outside. Let a good body man look at it and they should be able to get rid of the dents. If there is no one in Lexington I know of a stellar place that does very good work called Mannings Paint and Body in the Industrial park here in Louisville off of Blankenbaker.

Home - Mannings Paint & Body Shop

By the way, Mark. I'm getting ready to have one of the beers your wife gave me. I hope they are not poison:eek: (tell her thanks again)

Paul

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Paul:

I enjoyed seeing you guys again. The house was packed. Big fun. The irony of the evening was that my gag gift was the Makers Mark with the note that said, "Open in case of Emergency.....In the event your Alfa Romeo breaks down, use these spirits to raise your spirits.":D

The impression dents weren't the worst of it. Once I got it into some good light, the hood has bowed near the firewall being puckered down at the latch, and bowed up at the corners. So for lack of better terminology...its dented and worse, its sprung. Fortunately, the radiator support and hinges, and the firewall all look fine.

There is a slim chance its repairable...but by the time you pay someone to straighten that out and make it fit right, keeping the corners flush with the fenders, it'll probably be less expensive to start with a new one.

BTW...officially, I am telling my family that my wife, Lisa did it!:D

Michael....that was it. Too close to do anything about it. Wasn't tailgating by any stretch of the imagination...but just following a couple of cars to the interstate and out it appears as they easily clear it. And thanks Cheryl for the reference.

Best Regards,
John M

·
Administrator
16,637 Posts
Does anyone know of a very good, near original or original source for the decals?
I've seen sets of under-hood decals on eBay. Although these sets are not for the S4, perhaps if you contact the seller they can help.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
John,
I'm very sorry to hear about your Spider, and glad to hear that no one was hurt. I'm sure you will repair back to its stunning state - or better, if that's even possible!

As far as sources for under the hood decals, there are actually several. As Eric pointed out, these come up on ebay regularly, although it's not like they are being offered all the time. There are certainly several vendors, domestic and from overseas (European sites, i.e. German, Dutch, U.K.) for these. If I were in your shoes however, I would start by sending an e-mail to Uri from Mt. Carmel Spares. (Say "hi" to him for me.)

Best regards,

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Eric and Enrique:

Eric, I sent him an email through ebay. And Enrique, I've already got one sent to Uri. I am hoping he has them as he was the first guy to come to my mind with the quality I am looking for.

I am looking at it as an opportunity to get a nick out of the top of the driver's side fender from a rock strike, and get a chip out of the front bumper from a falling walnut!:D They'll have to blend the pearl over this area anyway. I'll get her on the rack tomorrow and see what else the "yule log" got. Drove it to Louisville anyway once I confirmed no visible leaks. The sump guard looks like some sort of abstract art now.:D I think I'll save it for next year's AROC party gag gift.

Best Regards,
John M

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
... The sump guard looks like some sort of abstract art now.:D I think I'll save it for next year's AROC party gag gift.
Yes, it's good to save for that. OVAROC also had its Holiday Party on Saturday evening, and the Italian Auction was as fun as always, with no shortage of Alfa "memorabilia"! :p

Ok, now I have to ask... Once you apply that fresh coat of pearl white (that "Liberace" color, like someone likes to call it :cool:), and since you have the proper equipment, are you going to turn her into a "trailer queen"? :eek:

Best regards,

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, it's good to save for that. OVAROC also had its Holiday Party on Saturday evening, and the Italian Auction was as fun as always, with no shortage of Alfa "memorabilia"! :p

Ok, now I have to ask... Once you apply that fresh coat of pearl white (that "Liberace" color, like someone likes to call it :cool:), and since you have the proper equipment, are you going to turn her into a "trailer queen"? :eek:

Best regards,

Are you kidding?!:D Trailer Queen!!! No way. I think the time has come for some modifications beneath the hood. Time to put together something to spank a Nebraska black car really really bad!!!!!:D The 78 already can...but imagine it...black vs. white at Chicago. I can already smell that baby seal meat cooking on the grill!:D

Best Regards,
John M

·
Registered
288 Posts
John - there are good ones on e-bay from time to time for the various series spiders.

Good luck!

Best Regards,
John M

·
Senior TEXAS member
1,526 Posts
John,
Sorry to hear about your little "incident". I understand your pain.
Good luck on finding a new hood; I dont think there are any on this continent right now.
Just wondering: Did the log bounce on your hood, or push the engine up into it?
You have my empathy,
Bill

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ahhh...crap...no new hoods you say Bill. That throws a wrench. Well there are several around in friend's garages...spares...not on their cars!:D

Bill I hated to see what happened to your car. I had a similar incident in the 78 back around 2002. Pancaked the nose, rolled the hood, tweaked the upper support. But she is all fixed now, better than before. The infamous log jammed beneath the car shoving the motor into the hood. Have not had it on a lift yet to inspect for further damage.

I am calling IAP today.

Dolce...thanks for the heads up. Keep them coming. I am following up on all leads for the decals. I got word back from Uri that he doesn't have most of the decals.

The saga deepens a little. More oil leaking. Must have cracked one of the pans afterall. Dam.

Best Regards,
John M

1 - 20 of 33 Posts