Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a joke right? I know the fuel filler door is listed as one of the breakables on the 164 but come on, the dang thing is made of plastic?

Two small strips of aluminum, two screws, two nuts and my favorite aerospace adhesive were used to execute a repair but it wasn't easy due to the close clearance between the hinge and fender.

I had to grind down the screw head to get it to clear and it was kind of a bear getting it in in that direction.

And despite my seasoned experience with these sorts of things I still managed to burn the living crap out of my left thumb and fore finger when I grabbed the freshly ground red hot head of the screw. Let me tell you that burning your fingertips is extremely painful! Don't do it. :geek:

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
Nice job "ET" Any idea of why it gave, were you closing it? ciao chris

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
...Any idea of why it gave, were you closing it? ciao chris
It was a little bit crooked when closed and thinking it was made of similar pot metal as the door handles I thought I could just tweak it a touch but it snapped like a potato chip.

:oops:

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
Never had that happen to me....yet, but got a rear quarter panel with a repaired door.
Did you see my pm?

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
My wife did this to me on a 164 years ago.

They actually come off fairly easily. There are two tall but narrow screws that you need to loosen and then the pins that hold the cap into the hinge can slide out of each side of the hinge.

Might make meatball surgery easier next time. Anyway, it looks good shut, so congratulations on a job well done!

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
It was a little bit crooked when closed and thinking it was made of similar pot metal as the door handles I thought I could just tweak it a touch but it snapped like a potato chip.

:oops:
ABS plastic and fairly strong. My body man snapped mine on purpose and re-glued it to align it correctly. I have a spare but the glue is holding up fine.

Pretty flimsy deterrent for $50 worth of fuel. It "locks" but, really?

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ABS plastic and fairly strong...
To be honest I think mine was already busted and all I did was snap the glue line. Wish I'd known about it being easy to remove, it would have made the repair a lot easier. I looked in the trunk but didn't see anything that appeared easy to get to.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
ET! I just got that, Mr. Chris. Funny.

Good recovery, Paul. The adhesive looks like that click bond stuff.

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
I'll be in town all week, signing autographs later. I think all the flappy doors look somewhat crooked when shut. Ciao, jc

1 - 13 of 13 Posts