Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
Just a couple observations... Fuel Filters--- If your fuel tank is cruddy. I expect it it is, Napa won't have enough filters to cure it and they will clog VERY quickly .. Your electric fuel pump will growl a lot as a warning and sound like a muted coffee grinder. There is a front filter in the engine bay too but the rear one catches most of the crud first. Low Pressure Fuel light --- left of the oil pressure light.should wink on and then off after the electric pump is turned on...It alerts you there when OFF there is sufficient pressure to feed the injection (IF IT WORKS) . If it is inop, then you have lost a diagnostic check for non-start and running. When the light stays on the pressure is restricted = clogged fuel line or filters. Last is the Thermostatic Actuator line is snipped off ..probably a bypass I won't go to as I know enough about them to be dangerous.

FWIW, I once had a picture of a car like this that had a glass tile mosaic finish.. nothing deterred that individual. You are determined.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
What is the temperature where you are painting? It looks too cold.
Looks windy as well....

I haven't been through all the videos 100% so maybe this has already been addressed but is there a particular reason you're in such a hurry? I get that you're trying to do this as cheaply as possible and maybe you're factoring your time into that equation as well?

Just on the paint here you appear to be painting in poor weather conditions, haven't bothered with a basic very cheap tool (tack cloth) and are trying to apply a couple of heavy coats instead of several thin ones. You're not waiting long enough between coats (compounded by the weather) and not bothering to correct your mistakes (the dust you've spotted under the first coat of paint) before moving on to the next coat. Except for saving a few bucks on tack cloth, doing this right wouldn't cost you anything but time.

I do admire your "can do" attitude but using questionable techniques, cheap tools AND being in a big rush isn't a great combination for success.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Temps were 38-45 when painting. I would have run out for a tact cloth had I known it was what was needed beforehand but timing didn’t allow for it.

The gas tank is actually new (less than two years). I was extremely happy to receive a package this week from the previous owner that included the original manual and 15 years of service records (over 4K spent at reputable Alfa mechanics over the last two years).

I‘m a teacher and bought the car at the beginning of the abnormally warm winter break thinking I could get it ready for Spring before weather/school starts back up. I always planned to work on it with a tight budget. The car has 107,000 miles and to properly take care of the rust would likely never make sense financially.

I’m quite happy with how the paint turned out all things considered. Still lots to do but I’m excited about the work I’ve done so far. It has been a fun challenge.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Stay with it and stay safe. Nothing wrong with your approach. Enjoy the work and enjoy driving the car.

Whether or not more permanent rust repairs make sense or not will be revealed as you move forward. Good luck.

·
Registered
282 Posts
You rock Mike
Get her ready for Spring and DRIVE!!
You'll be hooked!!
She's a real "By the seat of your pants" experience!
Synchronizers to second gear have always been a week Alfa area. Shift slowly up and "Double Clutch" down.
Bump 3rd before going into first!!!
Good on ya for rescuing her
Welcome to the group
Paul

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Welcome aboard, I have found the guys/gals on the AlfaBB as very helpful. We all have our own methods to complete the work on our sporting cars, my .02 would be: have at it. A proper shop would be a luxury, the necessary tools another luxury, the time ....

Enjoy your progress, for me restoration work is the Most satisfying there is

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
DONE! My winter project is finally "complete"

It has been a blast working on the car and cannot wait to get it back out on the road! I appreciate the help/encouragement I received here.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts