Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Post them here.

This is a 1985 33 Quattro Monte Carlo. The original script is missing from this side but still in place on the other side.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Here is one I photographed in Umbria, Italy in 2005. I saw a lot of 33s in the 18 months I spent there and this was the only 1.7. Most were 1.3 sedans and I saw maybe three 1.5s.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,807 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Our '85 Quattro on annual 5000km charity rallies to Lake Eyre and Gulf of Carpentaria. Leaving in two weeks for Birdsville. Main modifications are springs and shock absorbers, underbody protection, 14" wheels and high profile tyres, UHF radio, dust light and navigator's odometer.

Lake Eyre.jpg

Creek crossing.jpg

Strzelecki 2.jpg

·
Registered
33 Posts
Keith,
Since new in February 1986 - it was a demonstrator at Albion Car Centre. It is still our daily driver, but four years ago it had racked up nearly 300,000 km and was getting a bit tired. Avanti did a complete overhaul - engine, gearbox, brakes, suspension, body reinforcing and underbody protection, so now we give it a run each year on the ten day, 5000km Cruise Section of the Great Endeavour Rally.

Only problem so far has been knocking the fuel sender unit up through the top of the tank. I bought a complete running wagon for a new tank, and pulled it apart, so if anyone wants any bits for a silver wagon, I have everything except front left mudguard, fuel tank, headlights and hood lining.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Laurie, thought it was you. This is the best way to "retire" an Alfa I think. I had the same type of overhaul done by John French some years ago and now it's time to get some panel work done I think. I might call about some trim as the plastic around the rear windows has disintegrated.

·
Registered
755 Posts
The montecarlo 33 is a rare thing these days, even here in Adelaide. Theres a rather nice one here though, its red with simmons wheels and a Zender body kit, obviously an enthusiast - perhaps someone on the BB??
I looked at buying one a while back, it had some accident damage and was getting rather tired and rusty. Was a burgundy colour and I remember the paint placard - translation - "silver basecoat then 2 coats of transparent burgundy" it really looked nice out in the sun!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Monte Carlo is a rare thing, period. They were only ever silver, and only a few were made I am told.

This information from Alfa Romeo Australia:

Based on the Alfa 33 Quattro 4x4 wagon, the Monte Carlo was released in the first quarter of 1986 and is the best example of dressing up a particular model that Alfa Romeo Australia had attempted. In fact so good looking was the conversion that many Quattro owners copied the idea on their own cars.

It goes on to describe the conversion in some detail but I am too lazy to type. Basically, Ti trim fitted to the wagon inside and out, leather steering wheel, telephone dials wheels.

Modern Motor wrote about this vehicle in August 1986. Ewan Kenndey said this: "The result of these changes is to give the car a similar look to the sporty Ti hatchback."

Other changes include 30mm lowered springs, revised geometry, Koni shock absorbers, and front anti roll bar according to Barry Lake. It is low, you have to bend down to get in.

The Special Note in the Alfa Romeo Australia data reads: The original Quattro 4x4 was only available in two colours, burgandy or metallic silver. A genuine Monte Carlo will only be silver and will have a Monte Carlo decal attached to the rear section of the front guards.

This is the only one I have ever seen, although I have seen plenty of silver wagons. Usually the Quattro 4x4 has the bottom part of the doors and sills blacked out to match the black bumper and rear apron like Lauries above. The Monte Carlo was silver all over including the front and rear bumpers but with the black tape in the groove in the cars waistline, another thing that needs replacing at some point. There is still one on Monte Carlo decal on the side that has yet to be repaired and I will have to get a pair made up before the panel work is done.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just bought an S1 33 GCL to go with the wagon. Despite the wagon being lowered 30mm (according to MM), it is still about 20mm higher than the sedan. And yet you really climb down into the wagon and sit up in the sedan as the seats are quite different. And they are both quite different to drive as well. The sedan is a softer, easier drive, the wagon is crisper and goes much harder.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I recently did some work on the front suspension of our 1985 33 quattro. The only difference I could see between the suspension on our car and suspnsion bits I got from the wreckers from other 33's and a late model sprint was a larger strut bearing spacer, giving the wagon about 20mm greater road clearance at the front. I couldn't see any difference between the wagon, 33 sedan and sprint springs. I replaced the larger spacers on our wagon with the sedan ones which has lowered the car slightly at the front.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Keith,
Since new in February 1986 - it was a demonstrator at Albion Car Centre. It is still our daily driver, but four years ago it had racked up nearly 300,000 km and was getting a bit tired. Avanti did a complete overhaul - engine, gearbox, brakes, suspension, body reinforcing and underbody protection, so now we give it a run each year on the ten day, 5000km Cruise Section of the Great Endeavour Rally.
- Alfatect, you wouldn't happen to be the "Silver Jones" who gave me a lift earlier this year?

In that case, many greetings from Denmark, I had a wonderful time with you lot when I was i Brisbane earlier this year :D

BR,
Troels.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Oelholm,

Yes we are - I've been following your adventures on Alfa BB and Alfa Owners since you went home. Congratulations on your Sud, and have a great time on your holiday in England.
Glad you enjoyed your stay in Brisbane. Still no drought-breaking rain here. AROCA is preparing to host Alfesta 2008 at Mooloolaba, and we are leaving tomorrow morning on the Great Endeavour to Birdsville and back.
Good to hear from you again,
Regards,
Laurie

·
Registered
418 Posts
Laurie,

I'm sorry to hear that it's still dry in Brisbane, the water restrictions must be terrifying! I hope you have had a brilliant drive when you read this and please give my best regards to the missus!

BR,
Troels.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Post them here.

This is a 1985 33 Quattro Monte Carlo. The original script is missing from this side but still in place on the other side.

Nice car! I don't think i've seen a Monte Carlo wagon in the flesh as it were. I've just bought a 1985 33 Quattro Wagon-will be collecting it tomorrow-and it will be my first Alfa Romeo. Fingers crossed!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts