Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't resist starting this thread after doing a search and coming up negative.

I love engines, all sorts and there seems to be a thread on every 'favourite' topic you can poke a stick at, so here's a new one - your favourite engines.

Post your top 10, no judgements! (feel free to justify your choices) Here's mine, in no particullar order.

1. Alfa Romeo four cyl' Twin Cams - all sizes and specs!
2. Alfa Romeo boxers - not much to look at, but a joy to use.
3. BRM 1.5 litre V16 grand prix engine - about as extreme as 1950's engines got, and a shrill that makes your hair stand on end
4. Cosworth DFV. Such an accomplished unit, and who can resist a quad cam V8 with gear driven valve-gear?
5. Fiat 500 vertical, air-cooled twin. Think i'm nuts? How many engines do you know that can genuinely be used flat-out on the road?!
6. Porsche 356 Carrera 4-cam - to me, the first 'exotic' Porsche engine
7. BMW 3.5 litre, twin-cam six as used in the 3.5 CSLs
8. Ferrari Lampredi V12s
9. Ferrari Boxers - all sizes, just lovely sound.
10. Ferrari 162C Turbo - The V6 F1 engine. My favourite era of F1, my favourite constructor, the least obvious choice from Ferrari!

Tell me yours!

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
no order

2.5 alfa v6
360 mopar(70's) 2 4brl;s tunnel ramed headers open exhaust
"early" hemi(331-354-392)ANY setup
ford Y-block(1950's) ANY setup
flathead v8 any make
toyota 1970's baby 4cyl hemi, webber and headered
toyota 20-22r

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no order

toyota 1970's baby 4cyl hemi, webber and headered
Beautiful engines, tough as nails. Yamaha twin-cam head is lovely too, something of a Japanese interpretation of what Fiat and Alfa were doing at the time (and for a long time before too)

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
The Chevy 350....

Cars, trucks, boats, RV's, you name it.......great engine!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yep! Chevy small block, without question. Affordable, unbreakable, and just plain fun! I have used them in Corvettes, boats and trucks, you can't beat em!!

They are like the red block Volvos X2!!

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very interesting, for a bunch of guys on an Alfa Romeo forum to come back so enthusiastic on a motor which is so different to the one's we have in our cars!

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
What's the radial unit at the bottom from?

And the V8 at the top looks pretty rad too!

Not sure what the radial was in, it's a Wright R-2600-13, I took the picture at a museum in Tillamook, Oregon, the engine was sitting in a corner with no display plaque. The V8 at the top is a 410ci Chevrolet used in sprint car racing.

Here's a link to some info on the radial, it lists the aircrafts that it was used in:

Wright R-2600 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
Rolls Royce Merlin

V-12, twin spark with later versions with two superchargers in series--27 L

As mounted in the Spitfire, or Mustang P 51--an unforgetable and not heard frequently enough sound.:D

The Historics at Laguna in 1985 was an Alfa year. Hill and Fangio took turns driviing the 159 Alfetta, and the sound of that engine on WOT was incredible.

No need to describe the engine on this board, but of interest is that the articles about the start up were valid.

Once the engine was warmed up colder plugs were put in and the mechanic gave the crank a quick turn. No one was in the car, and no mechanic at the throttle--the engine blipped itself up and down, as in "Vroom - Vroom", with no one touching anything.:eek:

This was in the paddock and a group of us were standing at the back of the car and the fumes from the exhaust were very heady stuff. the fuel was something wild--for the time.

The other interesting feature that hadn't been seen reported was that on the track and on trailing throttle it went dead quiet. No backfiring--nothing.

Bought a video of it later on.:)

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
alphabetical only:

1. Alfa Romeo 2.9-liter inline-8; driving force behind the first supercar
2. Auto Union 3-liter Type D V12
3. Ferrari 3-liter 250 Testa Rossa; worked for LeMans and the street--classic 'ripping canvas' sound
4. Ferrari 3-liter 312B
5. Ford 289 Hi-Po; hey little Cobra...
6. Ford Cosworth 3-liter DFV
7. Lancia Fulvia 1.6-liter V4; nepotism--what can I say?
8. Matra Sports 3-liter V12 (long pipes); unforgettable howl
9. Porsche 4.9-liter flat-12; 917
10. Rolls Royce 27-liter “Merlin” V12

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
alphabetical only:

1. Alfa Romeo 2.9-liter inline-8; driving force behind the first supercar
2. Auto Union 3-liter Type D V12
3. Ferrari 3-liter 250 Testa Rossa; worked for LeMans and the street--classic 'ripping canvas' sound
4. Ferrari 3-liter 312B
5. Ford 289 Hi-Po; hey little Cobra...
6. Ford Cosworth 3-liter DFV
7. Lancia Fulvia 1.6-liter V4; nepotism--what can I say?
8. Matra Sports 3-liter V12 (long pipes); unforgettable howl
9. Porsche 4.9-liter flat-12 inline-6; 917
10. Rolls Royce 27-liter “Merlin” V12
What can I say Ed? You've got taste!!

There was a sound clip somewhere on the net of the 3 liter Matra '12. Sensational! Same on 917....

·
Registered
513 Posts
Wow - nobody has mentioned the early lamborghini V12s yet - anything with 6 webbers 4 cams and 12 cylinders can't help but sound good + it is a work of art.

·
Registered
309 Posts
That's a tough question. I could make separate lists for race engines, street engines for all around use, and street engines for dedicated fun cars. However I couldn't rank them across categories. Did you have a particular type of engine in mind when you posted the thread?

For all around street use I would put the Nissan VQ dohc V6 at the top of my list. It is the only engine ever to win a spot on the Wards "10 Best Engines" list every year since that award started around 14 years ago. The version in my daily driver puts out 270hp, gets aournd 28-29 highway mpg, sounds great, and has gobs of torque.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
NO, I had no particullar type in mind when I posted the thread. I have a list of criterea to satisfy myself though - aural satisfaction, performance qualities, reliablity, and aesthetic quality as well.

The engine in the Fiat Cinquecento for example; even for a 500cc unit does not yield a lot of power, nor does look terrific sitting in the engine bay but as a device to use on the road in certain circumstances it just puts a smile on your face! The way it idles so rough that it feels like it will buck its own distributer off, yet smoothens out at higher revs and given a long, flat enough piece of road you can simply bolt the throttle and hear it sing along FLAT-OUT. How many engines can you do that with?

I am typically captivated by Italian engines. If casting alloy was comonly considered an art form, then most of it would be hanging in galleries so stunning it is.

There are some brilliant, brilliant engines out there today, but they are dull in their efficiency and lack of quirks.

No categories. I also love the MV Agusta 500 and 750 '4s' and engines like the Renault 'sierra' and 'ventoux', not very powerful, but charismatic. A big part of hte appeal of the beasts that they power.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
The engine in the Fiat Cinquecento for example; even for a 500cc unit does not yield a lot of power, nor does look terrific sitting in the engine bay but as a device to use on the road in certain circumstances it just puts a smile on your face! The way it idles so rough that it feels like it will buck its own distributer off, yet smoothens out at higher revs and given a long, flat enough piece of road you can simply bolt the throttle and hear it sing along FLAT-OUT. How many engines can you do that with?
A Suzuki Mightyboy.
-with 2mm off the head for more compression, extractors & a hotdog muffler, with a fat DGV Weber feeding it. The rough, flactulant idle & black smoke from overfuelling at low engine speeds was nothing compared to godawful scream of that engine at 11000rpm - it was downright terrifying (but then again, so is being in a Mightyboy at 150kph...)

My favourites -
-Chrysler 440.
-Maserati Gransport (the HOWL :D )
-Hayabusa with open pipes
-Alfa 1500 boxer at 8000rpm
-Alfa 3L V6 working up to redline
-Chrysler 265 I6 with triple webers & extractors (Drooling)
-Cummins 6 cylinder diesel (The thrust of it is amazing - 20 tonne machine and it still makes you bang you head on the back window when accelerating :) )
- Alfa 2L Nord - When you start it, it makes the whole car sound & feel like it's alive.
- AMG V8
- L28 Datsun - same spec as the chrysler 265 - I had one in my 240K (a HGC110 Datsun for those who don't know). These are the epitome of bulletproof. You could run them without coolant or oil and it wouldn't complain, even if something terrible happened to it chances are you could fit it with a long screw, silicone sealant & gaffer tape (I blew the side out of the head on mine once. Fixed it as above & kept driving. Repair lasted for 6 weeks, then I drove it to the breakers...)

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
twin cam alfa 4. at the autocross, you can always tell an Alfa, they sound different than anything else.

also the old single Ducatis, I had 3 from 160 to 450 cc. my 250 mk3 could be heard for miles with the factory megaphone.
cliff

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I spent ten minutes trying to keep up (in traffic :)) with a Ferrari 430 a few weeks back. The engine noises it created made every other motorist look around and most to open their windows to capture more of it. It could be heard half a mile away. Part chainsaw part opera singer. It's otherworldly.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
the current craze of fart can or kazoo exhasts sounds bad to me, not bad as in good, but just bad, as in not good. I like my 74 Alfa spider sound.
cliff

·
Senior TEXAS member
1,526 Posts
In no particular order, I like 'em all ;):

My Harley Springer at idle.
An Evenrude 50 pulling my little skiffboat out of the hole and then at cruising
speed.
A BSA Clubman Goldstar at about 45mph
An F-18 low, close, and at afterburner.
A 5.0 Mustang opened up.
The Saturn V at liftoff.
An 80' dual carriage Steam Locomotive at full boil.
A Cox .047
My Alfa 2 liter, anytime, at any RPM.
The wind in my sails.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts