Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Try getting NAPA parts clerk to understand a Grand Cherokee Jeep is not the same as a Cherokee. I am playing computer nerd today posting 164 things because after installing wrong water pump on my wife's GC Jeep and also getting wrong hoses, thermostat gasket, etc I lost track position big time on water pump change. Not a Lost Vacation but a lost morning, but I am practicing that forgiveness is a virtue and laying back while watching the deck mechs replace our front deck at beach house. It is too hot this afternoon for me to press on with Jeep repair now that I have correct parts. Tomorrow is another day.

Closest I have come to this wrong part on a 164 was the 24v water pump I got off of ebay listed as a 12v pump when I had smeared gasket sealer on it as I went to put on gasket I found out 24v pumps do not fit 12v engines.

However, Cherokee pumps will fit GC Jeep engine but you can't put GC pulley on Cherokee pump and expect it to turn or line up with other pulleys.

Magic Happens and tomorrow I will succeed.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Way off-topic but in a similar water-pump twist, I discovered the other day that Uno Turbo engines frequently have the wrong (Uno 60/70) water pump fitted. The outline/bolt pattern is exactly the same, but the pulley for the Turbo is about 5mm further 'out'. Apparently the alternator mounting is slightly different, to get that 5mm 'further out' as well.

The reason for this (which I correctly guessed) is that there is a crankshaft pulley sensor fitted to the Turbo for its ignition system. This means the crankshaft pulley V-belt groove is offset 5mm or so.

Apparently there are many Turbos running around with mysteriously squeaky belts. Mine had a mysterious squeak, but I have since found that it was the cambelt tensioner (ooooh....)

-Alex

·
Premium Member
26,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ML's Grand Cherokee Jeep up and running again with correct water pump, idler pulleys and hoses. Only part from original order was thermostat even thermo gasket was different.

So tomorrow I get to drive my 164 again.

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Thanks Steve!

Having both a Grand Cherokee and a 164, I keep in mind that even "mainstream" vehicles can suffer from poor parts counter "technicians"! Many times I have called several parts places with the same inquiry only to be asked very different questions as to engine, car, model, etc. I have found it best to take off the offending parts first and take them in, and if they don't match, even though the computer says they are a match, I will go elsewhere.

Many times, if it is a common part, I have found it is best to just tell them what you want, ask if they have it, and **** the car info. Of course, this often doesn't work. The 16 year old "experts" behind the counter just don't get it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Do Jeeps and Alfas naturally go together? I've had jeeps too ('96 Cherokee previously). My other car apart from the 164 is a 1982 Cherokee (the full size one). No problem with the water pump so far, but the heater core is a leaky, nasty piece of junk that occasionally dumps all the coolant. I'd fix it, but that might require spending money on the poor old thing, when I could easily exceed it's value just by filling up the fuel tank :)

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Steve, you ought to try and figure out why the coolant doesn't flow after putting a pump on a jeep. I put one on several years ago and didn't notice that the impeller was supposed to turn the other way. There are two different belt routings depending on the year of the Jeep. One goes clockwise and the other counter:mad:.

I'll stick with Alfa and Suzuki thank you.

I still have another 90,000 miles left on the warranty on the Suzuki until I really have to work on it if it breaks.:D

Paul

·
Premium Member
26,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Steve, you ought to try and figure out why the coolant doesn't flow after putting a pump on a jeep. I put one on several years ago and didn't notice that the impeller was supposed to turn the other way. There are two different belt routings depending on the year of the Jeep. One goes clockwise and the other counter:mad:.

I'll stick with Alfa and Suzuki thank you.

I still have another 90,000 miles left on the warranty on the Suzuki until I really have to work on it if it breaks.:D

Paul
Reman sticker on box made statement about two different impellers and showed pictures of CW and CCW impellers but said CW one serpentine belt and other CCW one for v-belt I just verified impeller matched old pump and used belt routing decal on fan shroud to reinstall belt. That is one BIG LONG belt and has two idlers very easy to install it wrong. third try I got it right.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts