Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I called this guy who had an Alfetta for sale here in the Chicago area. Just thought I'd investigate to see if it was worth checking out. After going off about how people want pictures, :confused: , He then tells me about how it has some rust issues because Alfa was using Russian metal back then, and how he likes his 68 GTV so much more because it's got a Julia body. I told him it didn't sound like a good track car and tried to get the hell out, He responded he is very flexible on price (listed at $1300). Maybe I'll go take a look next week. Any one want an Alfetta?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Alfa used Russian steel for a long time, and yes, it's one of the factors that contributed to the cars being rust prone. Nonetheless, it's the condition of the car which is important, rather than where the steel came from. An Alfetta has an appeal on its own, and Giulia cars are a different topic altogether...

Best regards,

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
You Say Tomato, I Say Carrot

Alfa used Russian steel for a long time, and yes, it's one of the factors that contributed to the cars being rust prone. Nonetheless, it's the condition of the car which is important, rather than where the steel came from. An Alfetta has an appeal on its own, and Giulia cars are a different topic altogether...
Best regards,
As is the spelling; I was going to ask if it was misspelled in the original post on purpose indicating that the seller really had no clue about Alfas? There are those who cannot spell Giulia or Giulietta correctly, and this is half way understandable; but those that can't spell Alfa, well there's little hope and they stick out like a sore thumb, especially when trying to sell something that they know everything about.

Alfas are rust prone based on the steel used and also because of the salt air and the time they spent at port waiting to be transferred to dealers among other issues.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Back in the '80 I lived on the other coast, Joe LoRe put me in touch with one of his customers selling an Alfetta coupe cheap. I went and looked, one of the few Alfetta's coupes I ever looked at, it had rust in all the usual places. The seller was very motivated and to entice me he showed me pail and explained the rust in manner I'll never forget, saying "look, it's easy to fix, I'll even give you the put-tee"

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheryl, Rest assured, the mis-spelling was on purpose. Another nice quote was how the 34,000 miles it showed was correct as usually, when these cars break down, the owners just put them in the shed and don't bother fixing them. Yes, air and water cause rust. Along with poor rust proofing. I don't think we should blame the Russians, they've been through enough.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts