Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of replacing a head gasket on my 1985 Spider Veloce and today I drained the oil because it has been contaminated with coolant. The old chocolate milkshake syndrome!
As I removed the magnetic drain plug I found this rectangular piece of metal that appears to have a machined finish on all surfaces and is beveled on 4 of the long edges. A non-threaded hole goes through the middle.
I have attached pics as I know you guys like pics! I have used a standard tooth pic for scale.

Can anyone identify this piece? Should I look further than a head gasket prior to reassembly?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
That and a timing chain master link clip are the two most likely things to find in the sump of an Alfa engine.

·
Premium Member
3,804 Posts
Hi joew and welcome to the wonderful world of Alfa ownership!

Looks like someone loosened the bolt too much that holds that piece in.

Here is a link to a head gasket change I did.

At post #10 you will see the instructions on how to get that sucker back in.

Head gasket for dummies

Good luck.

Vin

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank You Vince.
By the Way, I am using your "head gasket for dummies" post for the head gasket job.
I have printed out all the pics, inserted them in mylar packets, and made a shop binder with the info.
Great post!!

·
Premium Member
3,804 Posts
Thank You Vince.
By the Way, I am using your "head gasket for dummies" post for the head gasket job.
I have printed out all the pics, inserted them in mylar packets, and made a shop binder with the info.
Great post!!
Hi joew,

Hope it helps and good luck!

Vin

1 - 7 of 7 Posts