Alfa Romeo Forums banner

81 - 92 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
I purchased a minimally used race motor last week from a new friend who has a great shop up in Anacortes, WA.

At the same time, the transmission rebuild is going quite a bit faster than expected and should be finished in the next couple of weeks. The end result is a track-car solution that's going to be much more plug-and-play than I expected. I suppose on additional thing would be to add a fuel cell into the mix but that may be something I get into at a later date as I learn more. My thinking is to put this car together this Winter and drive it on the street, in rallies and maybe do a little time-trial-ing. Once I have most of the kinks worked out I'll take it to the next level and do a roll-cage, fuel-cell and perhaps a racing seat.

I'm considering changing out the current spring set-up for an Alfaholics one - something I'll figure out in the next couple of weeks. If you read back in my thread, this car has a fairly high stance, which has been great for driving on backroads and rough surfaces during CA rallies. It'll be less useful on a track...

I've added a few photos of the motor and the GTA-style oil cooler fitting that came with it. I'm also currently looking at a set of GTA headers that I could restore and use for the car.

Fun stuff!!

cheers,
Brian

Attachments

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
hey folks - I know it's been a while but you know what they say, after a warm summer comes a long winter...

Indeed, this last winter I was too busy traveling all over Europe in a silver Super (Argenta) to really get rolling on the motor install into the green Super. Lo and behold that time has finally come. The project has seen a lot of progress in the last six weeks - including moving in to a new shop and acquiring new tools...

We dropped the race motor in last week. It looks great but nothing is hooked up yet, of course. I installed the pedal box and mocked up the GTA headers for fit (they fit great).

There were lots of small issues but one of the more interesting ones involved some of the parts I stripped off of the old motor - which I have yet to really tear down. The head is a later 1600 head from a Junior Z or the like - not a small port head. Apparently, someone wanted a small port and was willing to invest in machining both the intake manifold and the head to fit auxiliary chokes or whatever they may be called. I didn't realize this until I tried to remove the manifold and it wouldn't budge off of the studs. The sleeves extend from the carb side of the manifold to two inches into the head where there's a chamfer machined in to prevent them from inserting any futher. I'd be curious to know if anyone else has seen anything like this? I plan on rebuilding this motor and using this setup. It's pretty clever.

The last shot shows the race motor installed. It's a very built up engine. 12:1 compression, 10.5 cams, heavy duty everything and I'm installing an oil cooler and aluminum radiator.

The goal is to get everything running on the existing DCOE 40s and then lower the car and install 45s over next winter. I may also try and deal with the livery at that point - finances permitting.

Just picked up a set of Avons and TZ wheels. I'll have those on soon.

Should be a fun summer!!

cheers,
Brian

Attachments

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
The race project is coming together slowly but surely - too many interruptions to name at this point.

I just pulled the heater box to clean it up and check the core. The core looked surprisingly good. I rebuilt the valve but looking at the assortment of hoses I received there isn't one to replace the small 90deg elbow between the heater box and the valve.

Does anyone have any suggestions with what to replace this with? The hose that was on there looked surprisingly clean and was very supple. Might just replace it.

I'd post more photos but there's really nothing too new and exciting here. Just doing the same stuff everyone else is doing - you've seen one alfa motor in a Giulia Super that's in some state of disassembly you've seen them all :D

Just need to get this box back in and the hoses together and I'll be on to assembling the intake side of the motor and installing the exhaust. I'll post some photos then.

cheers,
Brian

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
A bit of a long silence on this project as we've been investing a lot of time in building out a shop. I've got a frame lift and filled out the range of shop tools (invested in very vintage snap on stuff, a blasting cabinet, compressed air, a plasma cutter, etc). There are probably a few more things we need (e.g. a break, an english wheel) but it'll take a little time.

Meanwhile, I've gotten into the silver car that came back from Italy last year. Crazy to see what's happening in Bergamo right now :(

I pulled the motor and did a bunch of surface prep in the engine bay. There was more than the typical rust on the driver's side inner fender - dripping from the brake fluid reservoir combined with road salt, methinks. I've also pulled the suspension - the upper pivot mount on the driver's side is quite rusted. It's going to need some major repair.

I may just clean up the wheel well, while I'm at it, too. This car has had some pretty extensive repair done during an older restoration - '07-08 and could use some refresh. It's a really nice car - typical specimen of N.Italian decent driver. Rust is pretty common up there unlike S.Italy.

It looks pretty ugly in the photos. There's a big pile of sand/dirt embedded in the opening for the upper arm...

Inside - driver's side

and the ugliness seen from inside the engine bay...

Fortunately, the passenger side is really clean. Not sure why that's the case - it's usually the opposite...

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
I don't suppose someone has tackled this same issue and documented it in photos? I've been thinking if I should try and weld metal in from the inside or double up on the outside?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Looks like Squadra Bianca inlet inserts? Mostly done on the 2 liter engines, but also on my 502 Sprint GT head. Cool stuff!

hey folks - I know it's been a while but you know what they say, after a warm summer comes a long winter...

Indeed, this last winter I was too busy traveling all over Europe in a silver Super (Argenta) to really get rolling on the motor install into the green Super. Lo and behold that time has finally come. The project has seen a lot of progress in the last six weeks - including moving in to a new shop and acquiring new tools...

We dropped the race motor in last week. It looks great but nothing is hooked up yet, of course. I installed the pedal box and mocked up the GTA headers for fit (they fit great).

There were lots of small issues but one of the more interesting ones involved some of the parts I stripped off of the old motor - which I have yet to really tear down. The head is a later 1600 head from a Junior Z or the like - not a small port head. Apparently, someone wanted a small port and was willing to invest in machining both the intake manifold and the head to fit auxiliary chokes or whatever they may be called. I didn't realize this until I tried to remove the manifold and it wouldn't budge off of the studs. The sleeves extend from the carb side of the manifold to two inches into the head where there's a chamfer machined in to prevent them from inserting any futher. I'd be curious to know if anyone else has seen anything like this? I plan on rebuilding this motor and using this setup. It's pretty clever.

The last shot shows the race motor installed. It's a very built up engine. 12:1 compression, 10.5 cams, heavy duty everything and I'm installing an oil cooler and aluminum radiator.

The goal is to get everything running on the existing DCOE 40s and then lower the car and install 45s over next winter. I may also try and deal with the livery at that point - finances permitting.

Just picked up a set of Avons and TZ wheels. I'll have those on soon.

Should be a fun summer!!

cheers,
Brian

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
@divotandtralee - Thanks for that! Bertelsbeck's site isn't allowing ecommerce. Maybe a virus related outage?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Classic Alfa have that upper suspension mount too.... I think they are still shipping...

Cheers.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Ordered one. Order processed but no shipping yet. We'll see. I wouldn't be surprised if they've suspended operation for a time.

Meanwhile, I'm going to move forward on cutting out the piece. I've been told that it's spot welded to the center cross member via the exposed tabs and that grinding those off along with the welds that are accessible inside the wheel well should be all that's required to remove. I was hoping to save what's there but it's clear that this is not going to be possible. The piece is completely rusted out from the inside...

If anyone has done this I'd love to know more about the process :) (photos??)

I'll try and document as best I can. I sometimes forget to take photos...

cheers,
Brian

81 - 92 of 92 Posts