Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I think I am a new owner of an old Alfa. Specifically a 1750 GTV. I am in S.E. Michigan and would like to pick the brains of this community, which seems ridiculously well informed. I need to get to ten posts, so I'll start with asking for recommendations for transmission work (synchro issues) and engine work (assesment of work done to the engine which is currently apart but supposedly machined.) I never heard it run so I don't want to re-assemble until I'm sure of its condition.

·
Out of the office!
11,154 Posts
Hello all, I think I am a new owner of an old Alfa. Specifically a 1750 GTV. I am in S.E. Michigan and would like to pick the brains of this community, which seems ridiculously well informed. I need to get to ten posts, so I'll start with asking for recommendations for transmission work (synchro issues) and engine work (assesment of work done to the engine which is currently apart but supposedly machined.) I never heard it run so I don't want to re-assemble until I'm sure of its condition.
Contact member @gprocket. He offers full restoration work and possibly anything else you might need.

·
Super Moderator
11,213 Posts
Try Dean Russell at Trail Auto in Michigan. He's been working on Alfas for quite awhile!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also thanks to Ossodiseppia. I've seen sprockets posts, knew he was enthusiastic, didn't know he did the work. Only an hour away.

·
Joe Elwell
86 Posts
Rob - the second best thing about owning a classic Alfa is this board. I just bought a GTV6 which I'm loving, and have gotten great advice here already. Enjoy the car!
Joe

·
Super Moderator
11,213 Posts
10,000 posts? Easy! ALL BB MEMBERS ARE FRIENDS! More interesting than most other Social Media venues. Talk to members. Nothing too it.

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
And get involved in AROC and your local chapter. Meet Alfisti to share war stories and advice. Best thing I have done since acquiring my Alfa in 2015.

John

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow, I love enthusiastic people! I'm going to look at the car today. Verbal agreement on price, but I don't buy lots of cars so I'm a little nervous about the whole process. Transferring titles, paying for the car before possession (has to be shipped) etc. Also, what color am I going to paint it? AARGH..Thanks for support.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Project GTV

Rob,

Welcome to the BB. There is plenty of information on the BB. I restored a '69 GTV several years ago at Vintage Customs. Some words of advice:
1. Have a clear and detailed plan of what you want for the restoration.
2. If you are having others do the work, expect to pay more than you have planned (it just happens - unforeseen problems do arise).
3. Consider farming out what you cannot do (i.e. body work, paint, etc.) and focus on what you can do to keep the costs down.
4. It may take longer that you anticipated to restore, so be patient. It will be worth it in the end.

I am sure others can chime in as well.

Start off with the best car you can afford (body-wise). This will be the biggest restoration expense.

Good luck!

Tom Alkire

1 - 11 of 11 Posts