Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Automotive News-Luca Ciferi writes about the pros and cons of a sale to VW. Fiat is in big debt and this might be a way to get out, but there are alternatives offered, also. Just something to stir the pot.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Another way for Fiat to get out of debt might be to just build cars that people want. How 'bout investing in the development of some rwd architecture that isn't carried over from Chrysler's days with Mercedes? You gotta spend money to make money.

Fiat basically acquired Alfa for free in the late 1980's. I think if Fiat doesn't want to do Alfa right then whatever VW would give Fiat for it's most consistently failing brand would be a huge score Fiat no matter how you dice it.

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
Subliminal message for Marchionne

Sergio, sell to the Germans. Sergio, your baby Fiat needs the money. Sergio, you can look like a hero and retire in two years

·
Registered
573 Posts
Not good either way, but I would rather Alfa went down under Italian control. I don't want a rebadged Audi/Volkwagen pretending to be Italian. I was thinking it might be good to sell them to VW before. Now im affraid all we would get would be German cars with Alfa badges on them.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Not good either way, but I would rather Alfa went down under Italian control. I don't want a rebadged Audi/Volkwagen pretending to be Italian. I was thinking it might be good to sell them to VW before. Now im affraid all we would get would be German cars with Alfa badges on them.
I agree. I prefer that my Fiats are the ones pretending to be Alfas instead of VWs any day. All hail the mighty MiTo!

·
Registered
573 Posts
Is that worse than rebadged Chryslers sold as Alfas?
Yes, atleast it is still under Italian control. If anything Chrysler will become more FIAT due to the takeover. I don't want a German VW with an Alfa badge. The Germans will change everything and basically make them German cars. If you want that go buy an Audi.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
On the flipside of things, it appears that, while there will be some very subtle similarities between the next-generation Viper and the Alfa 8C, the next-gen Viper will still be an original vehicle.

Not every company that takes over another brand takes away its identity btw. That's conjecture. As this website can attest to, there are still a lot of people that would argue that "real" Alfas have been made under the leadership of Fiat and visa versa.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts