Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well everybody, the beloved super has "failed to proceed":(
I pulled into work yesterday morning (in the rain, as luck would have it) and when I went to downshift into 1st, there was nothing:eek: I pushed the car the rest of the way into the parking lot as my students watched (helpful bunch). After a conversation on the phone with Jon Norman at Alfa Parts, I think it is safe to say that I will have to drop the trans and take a peek inside:( Not exactly the merry Christmas I was hoping for, but a new adventure in Alfa repair is never an awful way to spend the holidays:) It wouldn't be so much of a ***** if I didn't use the super as a daily driver:mad:

Well, at least I have a couple other vehicles to use in the meantime. I will keep you guys posted, and post pix of the process if you want.

·
Premium Member
21,359 Posts
Bummer. Get your students back by having them help you remove it.

The good thing about a Super is (1) it's a Super, and (2) no complicated console to remove when getting the trans out. The clutch shaft bellcrank and brake MC are kinda in the way. Remove the bellcrank by getting its cotter off for much better access. Disconnect the rear of the main exhaust piece at the axle and let it drop (or remove the exhaust entirely), and jack up the front of the engine to get a better angle dropping the trans out.

So you can get into 3-5 and R OK? No funny noises?

Yes, pretty hard to diagnose without getting the trans out and opened up. If you lack both 1 and 2, it might be the 1-2 selector having come loose on the shaft due to broken/loose bolt or something.

Andrew

·
Registered
936 Posts
If you lack both 1 and 2, it might be the 1-2 selector having come loose on the shaft due to broken/loose bolt or something.
that would be my first guess !! its also the easiest to fix, even though you need to split the trans case to get to it.

there are some other less likely, and nastier scenarios i can think of, but no matter what, you gotta open that sucka up to check it out, and then you will find the problem, whatever it is.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Andrew, I like your idea about the reciprocity for for my students:D
I think that the removal should go pretty easy, as I am rather familiar with the car and the procedure. I am thinking that this might be a perfect excuse to get the gears lightened:) Purely in the interest of extending syncro life...;) in the meantime, I might post some pictures of its quiet repose.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Before you take out the transmission trying removing all the boots around the shaft lever exposing the transmission/shift lever interface, it is possible that the shift lever is not correctly installed/has come loose from the transmission shift selector that sticks up from the transmission. Hope this makes sense. If the shift lever is not correctly mated to the shift selector it won't work correctly possibly causing your problem.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hear what you are saying rogerspeed. I already checked that in infernal optimism. I wish that I was that lucky!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Time for the always fun and friendly Super report:)
Progress over the weekend included the removal of the trans and cleaning spotless said article. I am going to APE today after work to drop it off. Hopefully, I will pick it up in time for Christmas, fully rebuilt and gears lightened:D:D
I also removed the flywheel to take and get resurfaced, since I am also doing a new clutch assembly. This brings me to a couple of questions:

1. There are 4 transverse holes drilled in the collar that the clutch mates to, as well as 3 in the back side of the flywheel. I thought they looked too "homemade" to be stock. Maybe somebody's attempt at shade-tree lightening?:confused: I will try to load a picture or two.

2. I think that I want to lighten the flywheel. I know a great shop that can do the work, but I haven't talked to anybody who has actually had this done. Anyone have any experience with doing this mod? Is it worth it? Are there any downsides besides the rougher idle?

Thoughts for the day......

·
Premium Member
21,359 Posts
The flywheel holes are stock. Can't quite picture what you're saying about the four other holes. Be careful cutting stock cast-iron flywheels. There's plenty of discussion about it messing with their structural integrity if you take off too much, especially if you plan high rpms.

Andrew

1 - 8 of 8 Posts