Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I'm highly considering a set of these. In the product photos it looks like you can adjust camber.
The Alfa set does not come with Camber plates. The photos are stock photos, but when I received mine there were no camber plates included and I contacted them whom then got in touch with the manufacturer who said in testing there was no way to make the camber plates work within the Alfa shock towers.

Go back to page 1 I posted photos of what the set looks like. Hope to have them on the car in March or April.

·
Registered
498 Posts
i see what you are talking about Rogue, i have a lot planned for my Alfa before i consider Coilovers but it is on my shopping list though. sometime in spring i want to have my Alfa repainted white as i have clear coat issues and i have found someone that can repair my 2 front seats, after these 2 things i should have a pretty solid and clean Alfa. hope your Coilovers work for your alfa!!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #24

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Ok so my car is on the ground, I will have impressions of these soon. Still needs some work to be driveable. As of right now I'm trying to set up the ride height. I did take stock measurements of my stock parts but I would like some for comparison as EVERYTHING was worn out in my car.

If someone with a 1991-1993 164S with STOCK suspension and wheels could take 2 measurements for me, the ground to the edge at the top of the wheelwell, crossing the axle so its centered, front and rear, that would be very helpful. Thank you!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #28

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
And here it is on the road:

Thats about 1 1/8" drop all around which is about as high as you can safely go on these. I started out with the recommended stock stiffness settings from Yellowspeed which is 12 clicks up front 8 in the rear

I took it around the block a few times, very smooth, feels probably smoother than my '14 Mercedes E350 Sport, handled very well, car was flat in corners. I think I am going to stiffen it up just a tad for my own preferences, maybe 15 front 10 rear.

I'd offer a comparison to stock, but TBH my old ones were really beat, these are noticeably better but I may not be the best judge.

They really are worth it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello, I hope the following helps.
I am Paolo and I am the owner of a 1995 Alfa 164 24v. I bought the AMR coilovers, around 1700 dollars VAT and shipping included. Order made in February, coilovers received in July, but I knew that. The last 3 weeks were horrible because although I had sent 3 emails, 2 faxes and I had left 1 or 2 messages in their mail box, I got no response... I could not sleep.... I was able to find the "correct" way to deal with AMR eventually, and after a couple of weeks I received everything. I went to my Italian (I am Italian too, BTW) mechanic this morning to finally install them on my car (fingers crossed...). Attached are the pictures I took this morning. They look pretty solid and relatively heavy too, although no camber adjustment. In 1/2 weeks I should get the car back and I should be able to tell the new "feeling" :) . So far I can just tell that the old shocks seem to have never been replaced therefore the car seems a ship in a storm even at the speed of 50 miles per hour... Moreover, the left posterior shock was licking oil too... very dangerous in any condition, even while parking ah ah ah! Things are going to change soon hopefully. Keep in touch if you want to know how I feel them, but if you decide to buy the shocks from AMR be prepared to the unpredictable. The owner seemed a nice person in several email exchanges I had with him, honestly, but I do not know why at the very end no one was even able to respond to one of my several email just saying: "Paolo, it's fine, we got your email and we will be sending your stuff soon. Best." Ciao! P.

Attachments

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I will say those AMR Engineering coilovers look a bit higher quality with that reinforcement around the mounting points that the yellowspeeds do not have. The strut tops look identical, spring coils are spring coils, and the threaded sections look the same as well. Set the preload first, put them in the car, and then set height and torque down.

That said I've never heard of one failing yet so I don't know if that extra reinforcement is a big deal or not. As thats the only visible difference, and considering how the Yellow Speeds drive, AND considering the guy takes 5 months to get them to you, I don't know that the AMR ones are worth nearly double the price that they charge.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, and thank you very much for your precious advice.

You are very much right. Initially I had found the Yellow Speeds on carid.com, but they could not confirm me 100% that their adjustable coilovers designed (just?) for the 164 12v could perfectly fit my 164 24v too. This, although I had provided them all the Alfa Romeo code numbers as well as the diagrams of the suspensions of both car models. They actually asked me to take some measurements from the old shocks.... something that I did, until just by chance I found AMR and I bought the shocks there. Otherwise, now I may have already the Yellow Speeds installed on my car.

Yes... waiting so many months is really absurd, and the AMR were around 500$ more than the Yellow Speeds.
Unfortunately for these cars just a few years ago (no less than 7 or 8) and according to my mechanic, one was able to find Koni or Bilstein from Europe, mostly England and Germany. Even in Australia I believe, and in one of those old catalog there were listed under "Alfa Romeo 168". In Italy I could not find anything for the 164. What a shame!

On another note, I just installed the Squadra Chip and the intake runners (45mm, mine are 40mm), both bought from Alfissimo.com. The 45mm intake runners are the same of the 250 horsepower GTA. Another slight modification to the catalytic converter and I can say the car runs really great now. Nice sound, never annoying or too loud. I was already able to tell the difference especially after 4000 rpm. But I preferred not to push it until installing an A/F meter, hopefully in just a few days too.

Ciao!

P

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Man, why weren’t you here a few years ago before I finagled the Pontiac GTO front Koni struts to work on my car?:grin2:

Glad those coil overs are mounted and appear to be working well. Very cool!

And here it is on the road:

Thats about 1 1/8" drop all around which is about as high as you can safely go on these. I started out with the recommended stock stiffness settings from Yellowspeed which is 12 clicks up front 8 in the rear

I took it around the block a few times, very smooth, feels probably smoother than my '14 Mercedes E350 Sport, handled very well, car was flat in corners. I think I am going to stiffen it up just a tad for my own preferences, maybe 15 front 10 rear.

I'd offer a comparison to stock, but TBH my old ones were really beat, these are noticeably better but I may not be the best judge.

They really are worth it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello,

very nice car my congrats! Unfortunately I was here and there until 2016, when I came back to the U.S. after several years. I was in Roma and I had an inglorious FIAT Cinquecento 1998 (35 horsepower AHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!)

That's the result I hope to get in term of height, I mean similar to the red 164 of the picture: not as high as stock but not too low too. Did you have any problem with the camber and similar stuff? Does the car handles well? I can't imagine with 4 225/45 on 17'' wheels... :)

Ciao!
Paolo

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Man, why weren’t you here a few years ago before I finagled the Pontiac GTO front Koni struts to work on my car?:grin2:

Glad those coil overs are mounted and appear to be working well. Very cool!
Haha. I'm not sure when this Yellow Speed kit even came out TBH. They have been around a few years.

Hey shocks don't last forever so at least there is now an option. I am glad I didn't start buying parts to try and rebuild mine. Taking them out they are complete and utter rotten garbage. The spring perches are in poor shape, the bodies have rot. They were really ticking time bombs.

That's the result I hope to get in term of height, I mean similar to the red 164 of the picture: not as high as stock but not too low too. Did you have any problem with the camber and similar stuff? Does the car handles well? I can't imagine with 4 225/45 on 17'' wheels... :)
I will be putting the same size wheels and tires on (using repro 147 GTA wheels). The car needs an alignment as I replaced my entire suspension front and rear not just the coilovers. I can tell you by eyeball no issues and the car even with no adjustments done at all the car drives dead straight. I am going to throw my camber gauge on it this weekend just to see where its at stock. The 1" drop is perfect, enough to make a visual difference, but not so much that the car is dragging on the ground.

Handling is excellent, smooth and flat in corners, nimble for a relatively "large" car. That said I'm going to stiffen them a bit I think and just see how it feels, its easy enough to do as I still have the trunk carpet pulled out.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I increased the stiffness by 2 clicks all around. It made a decent difference I can feel in the corners a bit and the car is a touch less smooth. I took it on a much longer drive today and even over some bumpy crappy road and the car felt great, smooth, it really absorbed those bumps without much fanfare. These really are good units. Highly recommended.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Update for anyone considering these. The bolt holes are a touch elongated on these. Getting an alignment today this allowed for +- 2 degrees of camber up front. Maybe even more if we really hammered on it. Another nice feature.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Still happy with these? Can you tell us what your ride height is and what that roughly equates to for the range-height of these? i.e. Half-way up is 25.5" ride-height. <note, those numbers are just an example and totally made up>

21 - 38 of 38 Posts