Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I've been helping a friend with his 1992 Alfa 164s and I am confused.
In the cooling system is a creamy yellow sauce type fluid rather then antifreeze.
When we checked the oil it was clean and looked like regular oil. Has anyone ever seen anything like this?

Here is what happened.
The car overheated one afternoon and bursted a coolant hose and leaked out all the antifreeze. When he replaced the coolant hose he also filled up the engine with water and prestone flush and soon noticed the development of this yellow creamy saucy fluid. Ever since we've been trying to clean it out to no avail. No antifreeze has been added yet as we are puzzled by this strange fluid in the cooling system. Any ideas?

Thanks!
164guy

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
Sounds to me like a head gasket problem with oil getting into the cooling system. You could pressure test the cooling system to see if it holds pressure.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
The engine overheat could have caused more damage to marginal or old head gaskets. The cylinder heads could also be not quite up to recommended torque (IMO, it is common for 12V if it has not been re-torqued). I suggest re-torque the cylinder heads first, fill the system back with 50/50 coolant mix (to get a higher boiling point) and monitor the situation.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Seems both of you were right. Thanks! It seems he had air in the system and once that was evacuated and 50/50 antifreeze was put in the temp holds at 176. The saucey coolant is still being produced so it does look like he has a head gasket leak. Just curious though, where do you bleed the cooling system of any air?

Thanks much!

·
Premium Member
27,069 Posts
System is pretty much self bleeding but there is bleeder plug on top of thermostat if needed.

Probably won't hurt to retorque heads to see if that stops oil oozing into coolant.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts