Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience using Koni yellows with stock torsion bars and springs on a Milano? Mine has a mix right now for some reason (front OEM, rear Koni reds. Bloody PO...) and I wouldn't mind having a setup that was a touch stiffer.

I'm using reds with stock springs on the Spider and they work well. Do the yellows work okay with the stock Milano setup or do they really need stiffer springs/bars? How's the harshness?

·
Supporting Vendor
4,366 Posts
I've driven Milanos with the Koni Sports (yellow) and an otherwise stock suspension and it works well.

Altogether it seems just a touch firmer and better damped than the stock Alfa shocks. It's not a dramatic change, but it's noticeable.

Joe

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Yeah, just becareful on setting the rebound too harsh. I had Konis when my Verde was bone stock, I liked it, smooth ride, felt firm. Hower, I don't know if it was b/c my rebound was too stiff, but when I was taking the on ramp from 85 North to 17 south (like a high speed sweeper) I skipped right over the bump at speed, nearly moing over half a lane. It seemed the shock was too stiff for my spring rates. I think you could run the rebound really soft and adjust until you like it.

One warning thoughL adjusting the shocks on these cars is a bi$#% and you're not goign to do it more than about 3 times.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I have yellow Koni's on the front of my 89', with Bilstein's in back. The Koni's made more of a difference than I had anticipated. I dont think the ride is harsh at all, just better steering feel. :) Plan on doing rear as well next summer. Too many other projects this winter. :(

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I am new to alfas, but I have always disliked koni yellows for that reason, I would prefer bilstiens when given the choice. I have noticed that most cars with konis tend to do that. I have only ridden in one car with bilstiens ( a MK2 vw gti) but it was much better.

Hower, I don't know if it was b/c my rebound was too stiff, but when I was taking the on ramp from 85 North to 17 south (like a high speed sweeper) I skipped right over the bump at speed, nearly moing over half a lane.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. If I get them I plan on leaving them full soft on the rebound, so that's not a worry.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
I have a set of used yellow Konis out of a Verde I bought. Let me know if you are interested - $200 for the set of 4 shocks.
Jes

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Sorry - shocks are sold.
Jes

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Yellows are really only designed to work with stock or near stock spring rates, so is a good combo for a road car.

Adj on a 75 is not much fun due to internal bump stop - much easier on GTV due to external bump stops (just undo the bottom compress to engage adjuster and turn away!).

But, not much need to adjust anyway - for std springs, recommend about 1/2 a turn of rebound initially, and maybe another 1/4 in 20,000km if they start to get a bit bouncy once they bed in.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
I love the feel of the Koni Yellows on my 75 coupled with the Beninca springs. the car feels tight and very responsive with no hint of understeer. I think Beninca set them to medium. It also has poly bushes and radius rod bushes. It still gives a comfortable ride for me, but Holden drivers would find it hard. My 84 GTV also has Koni Yellows on it but I think they are on the hardest setting which feels too stiff to me. I plan to back them off and see how it goes. I will also put poly radius rod bushes on it some time. I think you need some compliance in the suspension. I don't go along with the idea that the stiffer it is the better it is.

·
Registered
207 Posts
A good buddy of mine just put a full set of Bilstiens on his
immaculate GTV6, and they are excellent. The car has a
nice, balanced feel. The shocks aren't too soft, nor too
harsh. We've both driven the car quite a bit, and are very
satisfied with the Bilstiens.

Later, Steve

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Steve, is his car lowered?

I wonder if my rear shocks feel so harsh b/c they are out of their intended operational range. My shocks look like they aren't near the end of their travel at any point but w/o measuring I can't know for sure.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I ended up buying Jes's yellows and put them in over the long weekend. Adjusted them about a half turn from soft all around to account for wear. So far I'm pretty happy - they ride nicely and aren't too stiff.

I was really surprised by how soft the OEM fronts were. I don't think they were too worn (only 70K on 'em), just soft. The yellows are a ton stiffer in front which is good. In the back, the red rears I pulled off were gas shocks and pretty stiff (I didn't even know Koni made gas shocks...) so not really a big change there going to the non-gas yellows.

Dunno why the PO put the stiff shocks in the back and left the soft ones in the front - seems like the opposite of what you'd want to do in the Milano. Anyway, I'm looking forward to wringing it out some more this week to see if I can note any improvement in the balance.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts