Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
So I suspect I am in the same boat as a number of you in that I am the only driver of my GTV6. Therefore I only know what it sounds like inside the car.

To fix that I borrowed a mates GoPro, mounted it on a pole on the side of a quiet country road and drove past it a bit and then listened to the results. I am a little disappointed with the sound – I have heard better, and I seek your advice on how to improve it.

My current set up is – Greg Gordon silicone induction pipes, K&N cone filter, 3.0 12v with standard internals running L-Jet, stainless CSC headers into custom mild steel mid-section with 2.25in (or 2.5in – can’t recall) parallel pipes with hotdog resonator about half way up on each side before they join together a bit before the rear section with an un branded muffler box.

I intend to keep the CSC headers. Non negotiable. But I am wondering if I should have a new centre section built up and either delete the hotdogs altogether for a straight through to the muffler or if I should have one built up with the join from each cylinder bank before going through a single resonator to the rear.

And / or do I replace the rear muffler with some ‘known’ brand. Feel free to suggest…

I am after something a bit crisper sounding and a bit barkier/sportier – I feel the character of the engine is not shining through

Also, anyone able to point us to YouTube (or other) links of known exhaust systems on our cars? So often I hear something I like but have no idea what configuration is used. And then you can listen to a tricked up 3.2 GTA engine and dream – and come thudding back to reality when the clip is done.
Cheers
Marty

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
best sound I had in one of my GTV6's was with straight pipes from head to the rear vick autosport muffler. No center resonator or silencers, no cats. this was with 3.0/higher lift cams and sound had a nice high pitch and overlapping lower resonance. The wife was revving it and did not get over 4500 rpm..... still sounds goodyou can hear it here:

·
Premium Member
14,669 Posts
I have a favorite place to listen to my GTV6 - under a bridge at the end of an on ramp to I77. I am at about 6500 in second at that point. Wonderful !

Reactions: Savali 3.1

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
CSC headers, straight center section, ANSA muffler. End of story.
Going to start with getting a straight through mid section built and see what that sounds like with my existing rear muffler, and then look at rear sections if needed...

·
Registered
512 Posts
ive got standard manifolds standard downpipes straight through mid section standard rear silencer
sounds epic

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Hi All,
So I suspect I am in the same boat as a number of you in that I am the only driver of my GTV6. Therefore I only know what it sounds like inside the car.

To fix that I borrowed a mates GoPro, mounted it on a pole on the side of a quiet country road and drove past it a bit and then listened to the results. I am a little disappointed with the sound – I have heard better, and I seek your advice on how to improve it.

My current set up is – Greg Gordon silicone induction pipes, K&N cone filter, 3.0 12v with standard internals running L-Jet, stainless CSC headers into custom mild steel mid-section with 2.25in (or 2.5in – can’t recall) parallel pipes with hotdog resonator about half way up on each side before they join together a bit before the rear section with an un branded muffler box.

I intend to keep the CSC headers. Non negotiable. But I am wondering if I should have a new centre section built up and either delete the hotdogs altogether for a straight through to the muffler or if I should have one built up with the join from each cylinder bank before going through a single resonator to the rear.

And / or do I replace the rear muffler with some ‘known’ brand. Feel free to suggest…

I am after something a bit crisper sounding and a bit barkier/sportier – I feel the character of the engine is not shining through

Also, anyone able to point us to YouTube (or other) links of known exhaust systems on our cars? So often I hear something I like but have no idea what configuration is used. And then you can listen to a tricked up 3.2 GTA engine and dream – and come thudding back to reality when the clip is done.
Cheers
Marty
Are you saying that the car has twin pipes underneath her, in either 2.25 or 2.5"?
Twin 2.25" pipes have a cross sectional area close to that of a single 3" pipe. And 2 x 2.5" is close to a 3.5" pipe.
Either way, bigger than a standard 3 litre needs.

I'd go for twin 2" pipes under the car and have that collect after the transaxle's cross member into a single 2.5" pipe.
That will get average gas speeds up and hopefully add a bit more sharpness to the exhaust note.
If you run a cat, you might get away without any resonators, but for a road car, I'd run a pair of small hot dogs.

Rear mufler should be something straight thru. It'd be nice to know what a Hooker Aerochamber mufler sounds like on these engines.

Something that tends to be missed is insulation of exhaust pipes. Stainless steel isn't as good a conductor of heat as mild steel is, so everything being equal, stainless pipe exhaust systems should have slightly higher gas temperatures all the way thru the system. This will keep gas speeds slightly higher as the gasses are expanded more.
ceramic coatings and insulation wraps will also keep heat in the exhaust gasses.

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
Eliminating the center resonators with the Ansa rear was a huge improvement. My favorite is still my full Stebro on the Verde. Oh how I can't wait to hear it again once I get the engine done!!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Agree with Dom! I have a full Stebro (downpipes, center, and rear) on my GTV6 and it sounds very nice.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For those of you that haven't read my 'ultimate tease' thread - my car became immobile very soon after leaving the exhaust shop. Which royally sucked. It was a hard to diagnose dying battery which has since been replaced as of last night and I am now back on the road. One of the things that seem to be missing on here are before and after comparisons - I have a fly by of the old system and plan on getting a fly by of the new as soon as I can (good thing my mate is not in a hurry for his GoPro back) and getting them up here.

Duk, for clarity - I have 2 pipes of 2 inch diam coming from the CSC headers joining into a single 2.5 into the back section. I am loving the sound of it for the brief time I have been able to drive it since modifying the exhaust. I have NFI what the back muffler is but don't know that I am in a hurry to replace it.

Keep the vids coming folks - we all know we love 'em!
Cheers
Marty

Reactions: ZaXxon and Duk

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Finally - my vid...

Sound of my updated exhaust here:

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
Nice sound. Also humorous to see the small plant move due to the exhaust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts