Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Hopefully someone out there knows the answer to my question. The cross member that mounts the front tip of the deDion frame to the body... is there any difference between the unit that came on a GTV6 vs an Alfetta Coupe?

I had sold a rust-free GTV6 body shell to a friend in CT for his project. When he showed up with truck and trailer we realized that X-member was missing. We both agree that that part should be part of the deal. I could offset that by cutting him a better deal on other parts he'll be needing, or crawling under one of my GTV6 bone cars to remove an official GTV6 mount. But I realized I had one sitting on the front of a complete (and already removed) Alfetta transaxle. So the easiest of my options is to remove that one fat bolt to rescue the Alfetta mount... IF it is a pure swap for a GTV6 unit.

Anyone had any experience in that arena? Thanks in advance for any insights you can offer!

Peter

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
If you go to the OKP website it has both the GTV6 and the Alfetta parts book. You could see if both crossmembers have the same part numbers. Also the Alfetta cross member bolts directly to the body. The GTV6 cross member has four metal spacers between the body and the cross member two circular, two rectangular. So your friend in CT needs both a crossmember and the metal spacers.

Bye

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Milanoguy! He has 3 GTV6s to make into one nice complete one. The rust-free shell from me, and 2 terminally rusted ones for parts. So if those other bits are separate from the X-member, he probably has spares to work with. I'll take your advice and check OKP on the part numbers.

Peter

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Both cars use spacers. they are different heights for GTV6 versus Milano. The GTV6 spacers are 5mm shorter. The cross member has is equipped with 4 mounting holes on each side that use 3 bolts a side. The more forward bolts use different holes for each car. The cross member appear to be identical for both cars. The transaxle mounts were different in that The Milano used a doubled set of plates on the mounts bottom, these plates raised the transaxle about 5mm. Those seem to be the only mounts available right now. To install them for the same transaxle height as originally in a GTV6 you need to remove the spacer plate from the bottom of those mounts.

Greg

Reactions: racingswim2006

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The two X-members I was trying to compare are GTV6 and Alfetta Coupes. I did take Milanoguy's advice on checking part #s on OKP's website. GTV6 is 0060732270... Alfetta is 11600.25033.04. That tells me there is a difference, but doesn't tell me if those are close enough that spacers or mild modifications could make up the difference in a swap.

When I checked the OKP website to find their parts lists, I couldn't find the button to get there. So, I contacted them with that question. I got a very quick reply with a link to those. This is what they sent---
OKP Parts & Engineering for Italian Cars: Original Alfa Romeo Parts catalogues

That page shows a selection of all the ALFA models they have parts lists for. So you just scroll down to find the model you are interested and click on it... in case anyone needs that type of info for their own questions.

Peter

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
The two X-members I was trying to compare are GTV6 and Alfetta Coupes. I did take Milanoguy's advice on checking part #s on OKP's website. GTV6 is 0060732270... Alfetta is 11600.25033.04. That tells me there is a difference, but doesn't tell me if those are close enough that spacers or mild modifications could make up the difference in a swap.

When I checked the OKP website to find their parts lists, I couldn't find the button to get there. So, I contacted them with that question. I got a very quick reply with a link to those. This is what they sent---
OKP Parts & Engineering for Italian Cars: Original Alfa Romeo Parts catalogues

That page shows a selection of all the ALFA models they have parts lists for. So you just scroll down to find the model you are interested and click on it... in case anyone needs that type of info for their own questions.

Peter
I guess I should have read the post before responding....

With respect to part number though I have found that the identical Alfa parts sometimes have different part number if they are from a previous generation of the same series car. I have a GTV6 and Milano cross members in my part stash. I cant really imagine how the Alfetta would use a different one because the GTV6 and the Alfetta GT were basically the same wheelbase and chassis floor pan, but I suppose its possible.

A lot like the 2.5 liter V6 had some features built into it as it was produced for the upcoming 164 3.0 motor, the cross member may have been changed after the Alfetta with an extra mounting hole to accommodate the different mounting point on the Milano.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm thinking the right thing for me to do is to take the extra time to remove one from my bone car to make sure I pass off the correct version to my friend. Once I have it off I can place the two side by side to compare. Then I'd probably find out I didn't need to crawl under the organ donor car after all.

·
Joe Elwell
211 Posts
I'm thinking the right thing for me to do is to take the extra time to remove one from my bone car to make sure I pass off the correct version to my friend. Once I have it off I can place the two side by side to compare. Then I'd probably find out I didn't need to crawl under the organ donor car after all.
The subtext of this for all who don't know, or haven't purchased parts from @planetmojo2 - he's an absolutely trustworthy extremely helpful source of parts - buy with confidence.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Hi. Maybe this will help... I have the crossmember from a GTV6 and an alfetta GT right here. Visually, they look exactly the same. Rough measurements (measuring tape not micrometer) are equal. I’m planning a full GTV6 suspension swap into my GT, including crossmember. Wes Conklin validated it all fits, and he’s 100% stand-up guy.
Can’t believe the GT and coupe would be different.
Good luck, mate!!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I owe two folks a very big Thanks here.

Thanks Joe for the glowing review! Anything I make off selling my organ donor bits goes into a cookie jar for my 24v conversion into a GTV6. I hope any bits I sold you in the past helped keep your ALFA on the road.

And an extra thanks to Steve on saving me from crawling under a bone car to retrieve a part I already had handy. The Alfetta transaxle is out in the open, so only that one bolt to separate it from the assembly!

You both just made my day.

·
Premium Member
5,874 Posts
You can't go by the 605/607 part numbers. That is the part numbering system that Fiat went to after the buying Alfa.

You need the conversion book.

0060732270 is actually 116.68.25033.0000.
and
11600.25033.04 is 00607-01032

So there must be some difference since Alfa was still selling both in 1990 under 2 different part numbers.

·
Richard Jemison
7,988 Posts
Just a reminder, the triangle deDion and its front mount is an "Active" rear suspension, due to the position of the center ball (front) being below the various vehicle`s roll center As the car corners with some degree of roll the front mount will be away from the car`s "centerline" changing the rear axle tube thrust angle more into the turn.
Reducing the "spacer thickness" reduces this. In my GT2 GTV6 I left out the spacers all together which made the car far more stable under braking and trail braking.

Tom Zat pointed this out to me sitting in the stands at Daytona about 1994 or so. But bolt length and short thread length requires either shorter bolts or placing the shims under the cross member to keep from stripping the threads in the captured threaded plate in the chassis.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmmm?.... That input seems to apply to both Steve and myself. I may have to crawl under a car after all, since we're not sure if those part numbers have a significance in how different they might be in this case.

Thanks much,
Peter

1 - 13 of 13 Posts