Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a good rear end for a later model spider? Must have no metal filings on the drain plug magnet, and no noise. Southeast U.S. preferably.

·
Premium Member
13,461 Posts
I have a 4.1 axle from an 82 Spider. I removed it earlier this year from a good running car with front end crash damage. It is a good axle. No bad noises or clunks. I was going to install it in my GTV which is now for sale. I am in Columbia SC.
PM me for my phone number.

Ed Prytherch

74 GTV
79 Spider
88 Milano Verde

·
Premium Member
13,461 Posts
The ratio changed in the early 80's from 4.56 to 4.1. I think that the 2L Euro cars were all 4.1. My guess is that the US cars were 4.56 to try to hide the loss of power due to emissions regulations. This guy wants one for a late model spider which means a 4.1. My impression is that 4.1's are generally more desirable than 4.56's. I know of a few folks that have switched from a 4.56 to a 4.1 but none that have gone in the reverse direction. Also, 4.1's are newer and are likely to have less wear and/or corrosion than the earlier ones. I paid $150 for a 4.56 a few years ago. They cost so much to ship that their value is greater to someone who lives nearby. I suspect that some good ones go to the junk yard.

Ed Prytherch

·
Premium Member
2,509 Posts
WHAT ARE THESE REAR END WORTH .... $$$$ .... ARE 74 WORTH MORE THAN THE OTHER YEARS? THANKS
They typically sell in the $100 - $200 range on ebay depending on condition. I've seen people ask for $400 but doubt that they got it. Trouble is, it's hard to tell the condition of a rear end without driving it or disassembling it. Especially a limited slip. To a lot of people a '74 would be worth more than a '71 because its limited slip but after this many years the limited slip probably isn't doing much anyway. Your '74 would be the same as what was used from '72- about '81. Somewhere in the very early 80's they switched from 4.56 to 4.10 like the one Ed is selling. Presumably the 4.56 would be a little quicker off the line but the 4.10 better for highway cruising.

Bill

·
Premium Member
2,509 Posts
Wasn't there a 4.3xx available only in Europe for a while?

It wouldn't bother me to stumble across that ratio at some point in time.....

Yes. Some of the Berlinas for sure. I think that ratio is much more common in Australia than the 4.56 that we got in the U.S. Maybe we should work out some ring & pinion swaps with some of our Australian brethren?

By the way, my statments in the earlier post pertain to U.S. cars and prices.

Bill

·
Registered
168 Posts
Rear End Prices

FWIIW, I just bought a rear end (~79 Spider) from DeNoya Trading Post (see eBay) that included axle tubes, rotors, ebrake cable, everything but the calipers for $150. It cost me about $200 to have it shipped from Oklahoma to my door in Mission, B.C. (FedEx freight) I think thats a pretty fair price, even when one considers the risk that the diff may be a lemon. I've got new wheel bearings and seals, and am considering if I should do any additional repairs before I do the swap.

·
Premium Member
13,461 Posts
I had a 70 spider that was originally sold in Canada. It had a 4.3, non-LSD axle. I still have a new pinnion seal for it. The tubes were so rusty that I junked it.
I would be happy to sell my 4.1 for $150. I drove the car that it was in earlier this year. It is a good axle. If the buyer has a bad axle to replace, he can swap out two clutch plates from the old one into the new one, rearrange the order of the plates and have a much tighter LSD. I have the instructions on how to do it. I imagine that it has been posted to the board at some point. I got my instructions from Russ Neely.
Ed Prytherch

1 - 11 of 11 Posts