Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the "gator" style of serpentine belt is available? My mechanic said they had been discontinued. The original style will occasionally slip when it is raining.

Thanks,

Jeff
Dallas, TX

·
Premium Member
27,161 Posts
AND what car do you need it for?

·
Premium Member
9,804 Posts
Just sold my last one. Not any help but I am not finding them anywhere. What brand belt are you using? Might want to take a little sand paper to the pulley grooves, clean them out and give the grooves some more grip.

I'd have a look at the grooves in the pulley, there might be contamination to old belt material and so on.

When it slips it just causes more issues.

slip → heat → belt thermo-oxidation → less friction → increased slip → pulley wear → yet more slip

Tension is crucial.

Remove belt, check for vulcanization, clean pulley grooves/wet sand if needed, replace belt, properly tension (splash water on it to see when it stops slipping). I am sure it will be good from there. Dayco or Bando belts even Conti belts. I'd look for the one that has a matte finish on belt v side.

Worse case if pulleys are toast, you could send them into: Homepage - Vulcan Grip

Reactions: jeffb99tx

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just sold my last one. Not any help but I am not finding them anywhere. What brand belt are you using? Might want to take a little sand paper to the pulley grooves, clean them out and give the grooves some more grip.

I'd have a look at the grooves in the pulley, there might be contamination to old belt material and so on.

When it slips it just causes more issues.

slip → heat → belt thermo-oxidation → less friction → increased slip → pulley wear → yet more slip

Tension is crucial.

Remove belt, check for vulcanization, clean pulley grooves/wet sand if needed, replace belt, properly tension (splash water on it to see when it stops slipping). I am sure it will be good from there. Dayco or Bando belts even Conti belts. I'd look for the one that has a matte finish on belt v side.

Worse case if pulleys are toast, you could send them into: Homepage - Vulcan Grip
Thanks Jason for the guidance. I am not sure what brand my mechanic is using. I will pass along your comments. One of the pulley's is making a bearing noise and he will be looking at that along with addressing the belt slippage issues.

Regards,

Jeff B.
Dallas

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
The Goodyear "quiet channel technology" "Gatorback" has been rebranded "Continental Elite".

Here is spec sheet:

Poly-V® Belts with Quiet Channel Technology? | Continental ContiTech

Alfa 164 LS takes Continental 4070775 (or 7PK1970) [1970 mm length]

Oem length was 1969 mm. Some have supplied aftermarket belts measuring up to 1980 mm.

Conti 4070775 is really easy to source.

·
Premium Member
16,074 Posts
"One of the pulley's is making a bearing noise"

If ANY pulley bearing is making any noise, replace, period. It's talking to you about feeling ill.

Reactions: jeffb99tx and goats

·
Premium Member
16,074 Posts
Sadly, the one bearing I had go out was the serp belt idler bearing in the 91S, in Nowhere, Wyoming, where it had been run hot for hours at speed. No chance to hear it start to shout at me. If I had stopped for a pee or anything else, I would have heard it, but no chance when running hot at ~4000 +/-1500 rpm on mountain roads for several hours. The pulley had been in the car for a few years, and the lube was evidently pretty bad/toasted. All I found were the two races, and of course, a tired but intact belt.

Now I take a quick listen every time I stop, and also carry a spare pulley and belt, plus the tools specific for changing it. Can be done in 1/2 hour or less, side of road. Better yet, change to a new one before any long trip, lol.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Pinino. The Continental Elite looks like the best solution and I will order one. Also, thanks everyone for the advise on the pulley bearing noise. I put the car in the garage when I heard that noise. Mechanic will take care of all of these.

Regards,

Jeff

1 - 9 of 9 Posts