Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I can't imagine how ludicrous this post must seem, but there's a good reason for it.

Some of you may be familiar with the BA/BE Rally, but in case you're not, it's a competition where you buy a car for $250 or less and drive it from New York to New Orleans, competing in zany challenges against other teams along the way. We took a Renault last year, and had a real laugh. This year, they're starting a new event that runs from Wyoming to Las Vegas, through the Rockies. The same $250 rule applies - and I'd like to take an Alfa. :)

Running, or not, if not it just needs to be something that is capable of running. Not picky at all; 164, Milano, GTV6, Duetto ( ;) ), anything that's an Alfa. Why? Because they say there's no way I'll make it, and I disagree.

So does anyone have anything they'd let go for $250? I'm willing to travel for it.

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
Are you willing to travel to Wilmington, NC to pick up a Milano (rust free!)? It doesn't run now, but it comes with a spare engine that does. The old engine may be seized (I haven't inspected it, but the symptoms seem like it). It's a nice car and will work fine with the spare engine dropped into it.

If so, let me know.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you willing to travel to Wilmington, NC to pick up a Milano (rust free!)? It doesn't run now, but it comes with a spare engine that does. The old engine may be seized (I haven't inspected it, but the symptoms seem like it). It's a nice car and will work fine with the spare engine dropped into it.

If so, let me know.
Potentially; have any pictures? And is it a manual or an automatic?

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
No pics available unfortunately. But, it is red, with a red Verde kit (front and rear valance, fender flares and rocker cover and red and black recaro interior (a bit chewed up but useanble with a cover). It's a manual transmission car (Milano Gold). There's about 100k on it and most everything except the engine works fine. I installed a new master cylinder in it about ten months ago.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I assume it's not your car? I know a few people in that area; I'll have to see if someone wants to take a look at it for me. Best case scenario, I can get someone to hold onto it for a while, fly out, swap the engine, and drive the car back. Worst case, well, I've got a tow dolly.

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
It's my son's car. Currently it is owned by my sweety, Kathleen and has a clean Virginia title, but no tags. My son lives in Wilmington, NC.

If you want it, let me know by e-mail or call me.

·
Premium Member
26,820 Posts
That car has been around hasn't it? If same one I am thinking about. I bought it back in 91-92 fixed engine gave it to my oldest daughter, Don got it next with bent valves from her in 97 as I was living in FL then. In 2001 I rescued it again for Don , Then Bill got it, then your son and the beat goes on. It started it's life off as a Silver Edition but Bill installed Gold Edition interior and you installed Recaro interior. Guess Mr T. ended up with gold interior didn't he for his son's seatless Verde?

This car has lived it's whole live in VA until your son got it and took it to NC. Maybe it will live again.

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
Yup, same car Steve. AJ sold it to a girl who promptly made the T-Belt jump a few notches (I am guessing), who then gave it back. He grabbed a spare 2.5 engine from a GTV6 I got, but hasn't been able to install it yet. The car is still good, but with a busted engine and sitting in Wilmington where it needs to be moved soon. I wouldn't sell it for so little except to a 'race team'. But, maybe I'm just a sucker. Remember what happened to the two Verdes I donated to that other race team?

·
Premium Member
26,820 Posts
Yup, same car Steve. AJ sold it to a girl who promptly made the T-Belt jump a few notches (I am guessing), who then gave it back. He grabbed a spare 2.5 engine from a GTV6 I got, but hasn't been able to install it yet. The car is still good, but with a busted engine and sitting in Wilmington where it needs to be moved soon. I wouldn't sell it for so little except to a 'race team'. But, maybe I'm just a sucker. Remember what happened to the two Verdes I donated to that other race team?
Bill just did that to his 164 he traded his spider for, so another story.

Yes, I know but at least I have the two engines sitting in my garage and one tranny in back yard and seats in my Florida room (my son is welding up broken mounting brackets for them).

I am hopefully trading one engine/tranny for a 164S engine/tranny set up now in NH so I can make another 164S in WB breath again hopefully. Horse trading for horsepower I hope.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hrm, at this point I'm trying to figure out how I could make this work without driving 1000+ miles down there with a truck and trailer.

In the meantime, anyone else have an Alfa they'd let go for $250?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts