Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for parts to improve safety of my 67 GTV:

• 4 Wheels - 14x6 steel wheels in excellent condition. Would also consider alfaholics aluminum GTA wheels. With or without tires.
  • Brakes - split system in unused condition.
  • Lighting - LEDs for rear brake lights.
  • Front belts - need a pair of shoulder belts (I have the lap portion). Prefer originals in excellent condition.
  • Pair of Front seats with head rests. Will consider later GTV seats in good condition or period race seat like corbeau, etc. if they have all the hardware to simply bolt in.
  • Rear Belts - 1750-2000
  • Rear seat belt mounts cut from a doner car. I will weld them into my parcel shelf in the right place.
Prefer Los Angeles source. I'm in Thousand Oaks.

Richard

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Looking for parts to improve safety of my 67 GTV:

• 4 Wheels - 14x6 steel wheels in excellent condition. Would also consider alfaholics aluminum GTA wheels. With or without tires.
  • Brakes - split system in unused condition.
  • Lighting - LEDs for rear brake lights.
  • Front belts - need a pair of shoulder belts (I have the lap portion). Prefer originals in excellent condition.
  • Pair of Front seats with head rests. Will consider later GTV seats in good condition or period race seat like corbeau, etc. if they have all the hardware to simply bolt in.
  • Rear Belts - 1750-2000
  • Rear seat belt mounts cut from a doner car. I will weld them into my parcel shelf in the right place.
Prefer Los Angeles source. I'm in Thousand Oaks.

Richard
I have NOS rear Klippan belts coming out my ears, if that interests you. I think they're more 'fetta sedan vintage but it doesn't sound as though this will be completely stock anyway. Let me know.

-Jason

Attachments

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
You're planning on shoulder belts for the rear also? I don't think I've ever seen that before on a GTV. Sounds like an interesting project.

-Jason

·
Super Moderator
10,203 Posts
Ricardino:

The LED parking & taillight bulbs come from: http://www.superbrightleds.com/
I learned about them from a couple of other threads on the BB - you might read those - there are some "tricks" to getting the rear bulbs to work in an Alfa GT (since the bulb is 90* to the face of the lens).

I got my 3-point intertia reel shoulder harness/belts from gemstreetrods.com. They had the lowest price on what is essentially a commodity item. Belts must meet DOT standards, so I would trust any new (approved) belt more than I would trust a used belt that may have been exposed to sunlight for the past 20 years.

Finding dual circuit brake components in unused condition for a 40 year old car may be a little difficult.

Personally, I don't believe that a dual circuit brake system is any safer. Sure, if your front circuit springs a leak and runs out of fluid, you will still have rear brakes - great - cars don't stop for beans with just the rear brakes. I believe that dual circuit brakes are just a marketing gimmick for the clueless masses who never check their brake fluid level. A well-maintained braking system + a float/switch/indicator on the reservoir that indicates fluid leakage before disaster occurs, inspires more confidence in me than having multiple hydraulic circuits.

Good luck on modifying your car. I doubt it will be appreciably safer when you're done, but if it makes your wife happy, then it's well worth the time & energy.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Dual circuit MC available

I have a couple of '69 dual circuit, floor-mounted, left-hand drive master cyls. if you still want one. One has a honed bore and is still disassembled with new seals ready to go. I am in CT. Send a PM if interested.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alfahill,

Thanks for the offer. I've not had good experiences with the honed cylinder approach and have decided to find a source for brand new parts for the brake system.

I think alfaholics has them for a reasonable price...I can just install and forget about it.

Richard

·
Registered
272 Posts
Honed cyls.

Just curios about the nature of your bad experience with honed cyls. I honded the mc in my '69 and put in new seals five years ago. It has been fine so far, but the car is not driven that often. Should I be concerned?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alfahill,

My first Alfa was a '65 GT Veloce. I honed the M/C, put new rubber in and it never felt firm. I later did the same to a mazda rx7 M/C with similar results. Maybe I'm just not a good brake honer, but it turned me off the idea of honing. I am also motivated by the idea that if new parts can be found for something as critical as the M/C in a 40 year old car, then go for the new stuff first.

However, I spoke with a long time friend, engineer and alfa nut today on the phone and he assures me honing is fine. He also told me the single cylinder system is rliable as long as the rest of the brake system is restored. i.e. brake lines are not rusting from the inside out.

At the moment I'm evaluating what it will take to use a 69 M/C...will I need a different booster...calipers, etc?

Richard

·
Registered
272 Posts
Ricardino, If going from single to dual circuit you may need to add a second booster as was done on the '69s. Other configurations are possible if you want the booster effect only on the fronts. The calipers don't need changing, but you need to add some brake lines for the added circuit, and a two chamber brake fluid resivour. Have you though of going to the hanging brake system by welding in the appropriate panel from a later spider or GTV?

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Richard:
I believe Alfaholics new dual circuit MC is for RHD cars only (won't fit LHD). There are extensive discussions on this BB about the pros/cons, details, and challenges in the conversion you are considering. I concur with Jay above that a WELL MAINTAINED single circuit is a safe approach, although I have converted my '66 to a dual circuit to comply with many race sanctioning rules requirements for the dual circuit systems.
Wil painter

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alfahill,

Thanks for the low down on the conversion parts needed. It sounds not too complicated. M/C, 1 booster, lines and a resevior.

Richard

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wil,

I read every thread you've pointed me to and must thank you for nicely packaging a pretty complex discussion.

Tandem brakes are safer, allow you to qualify for some track events, and don't really compromise originality unless you are the most extreem purist.

I need to check the integrity of my bake lines...that's the tipping point for me. If they need replacing, then I'm going the tandem brake route.

Thanks all :),
Richard

·
Registered
3 Posts
belt rear seat gtv6

hi jarington

how are you?
i have a question smile
im looking for rear seat belt for gtv 1980 bis 1986

i needed 2 left and 2 right. yes, for 2 gtv's :)

could you help me?
my emailadress: [email protected]

greetings from switzerland
dani

1 - 15 of 15 Posts