Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

Well, I'm still in search of that "perfect" first Alfa. :):D I'm looking for a Milano or GTV6 (mid to late '80's models) for around $1000.00 or less. I would prefer if it didn't require any major work on the exterior or interior... minor work is fine. Running and driving with a manual transmission. This will be my first car so I can't handle any kind of parts/project car.

I know that's alot to ask for an Alfa around $1000... BUT, you never know what's out there. :)

Preferred locations are anywhere near or around Norristown, PA... NJ, DE, and even NY are fine.

Best Wishes!
Kate

·
Supporting Vendor
4,365 Posts
Hi Kate,

Unfortunately, a $1000 Milano or GTV/6 doesn't sound like the right car for you. In that price range the cars will have lots of deferred maintenance and need lots of attention to things like the interior, electrical system, and brakes, which can really ruin the ownership experience. You will also probably need to dump quite a bit of money into a $1000 example to make it truly road worthy.

My advice would be to spend more and get a nicer example. $3,500 should get you a well maintained example of either a GTV/6 or a Milano (expect to spend more for a Milano Verde).

In the long run, this will be a lot cheaper and you will have a nice car you can drive, not something you'll always be working on.

Joe

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I agree with Joe 100%. Unless an owner is going off to prison and needs money on his books or someone wants to screw his wife in a divorce, a $1000 GTV6 or Milano will be $3500+ GTV6 or Milano by the time you get it running right.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Kate,

While I do agree with Alfatango1, and Joecab that a $1000.00 alfa will most assuredly have some lurking problem... I wouldnt necessarily be discouraged as long as the car is running when you buy it.

All cars need brakes at some point, and a beat interior doesnt affect your driving pleasure of the car especially in a Milano which didnt have the nicest interior to begin with.. let alone one that survived over the long haul.

Also the GTV6 and Milano 2.5 V6 are relatively simple modern-ish alfas that dont take a lot of noodle scratching to understand especially with the BB available.

I guess the true question is ... do you really need the car to be pretty straight off? If not... I would say you can get a "decent" running/driving car for the price range you are looking at.

The car most certainly wont be pretty, but as long as its structurally sound, and mechanically in drivable shape... then the rest will come in time as you slowly gain the alfa sickness that so many have contracted to which there is no known cure except sanity.

I guess I have a unique POV since my first Alfa was a completely wrecked 71 spider that didnt run, and had more mice living in it than molecules of rust eating away at the rocker panels ... Also I was 17 years old at the time...

I will be the first to tell you that yes I did struggle for the first 6 months while I tried to understand a car that hadnt run in 20 years... but after that things became familiar and the rest is Alfa history... and I still own that 71 spider... as well as many others.

So in a nut shell, dont be afraid of a $1000.00 car... yes you may have to spend at least another $1500.00 along the way to make it really decent... but you will be able to look back on the situation and say you learned something.

Cheers
Martin.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
By and large all the above is true, but there are allways the exceptions. I do have a west coast Milano 2.5 that drives great, AC is shot no rips or tears to the interior, will start ever time and should never let you dowm for $2500. One draw back! AUTOMATIC. Other than that the steering is awesome and it cruises perfect but is sloooowwwww as all the auto's are on take off.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
AlfaTango1,

The milano looks great... BUT, is a bit over on what I am looking to spend. I'm due to go back to college at the end of August and I just need to buy a car (Alfa... OF COURSE!!!) that's running and driving to get me from "A" to "B". Like Martin said... as long as it's structurally sound and mechanically stable, I'm good to go. The manual labor needed to make it look "pretty" doesn't bother me in the least bit. I actually look forward to working on it... because, as I've heard and seen, that's what the owners of Alfa's do. :) Repairing the minor damages to the interior or exterior will be fun (well, also frustrating as always)... but, then it'll be "mine". I'll be a true owner of an Alfa Romeo and proud to be one. If I buy my first Alfa for $1000.00, I expect to work on it for awhile... and I'll do it with a smile on my face. :D

I guess what I'm saying is, I'm not afraid of the work that's in store for me. I'll just be happy with having a running/driving alfa as my first car.

Best Wishes!
Kate

1 - 6 of 6 Posts