·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Hi Daniel,

If I were you I'd keep checking ebay and the BB on a regular basis. While I think it is now hard to find a Spider in that condition for the budget you are suggesting, I have noticed for years how different it is during the winter months. For the nest several months you will see extremely clean cars, which don't even get an opening bid, and the price just keeps coming down. (I've seen the same Spider offered during the winter, without any takers, go up for sale in the summer and bring in twice what the owner was willing to take in the winter.) Without those who are willing to travel and the obstacles of driving one home under the threat of snow, plus the fact that these are fair weather vehicles, demand is drastically reduced... Time and patience are on your side.

Best regards,

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yea, thanks. I am hoping for a 'winter bargain'...

I will keep my eyes and ears open and hoping the bb can help. I just sold my 89 spider and want to find a real nice 74 or so..

·
Registered
129 Posts
74 spider

Daniel:

I own a 74 Spider that I may consider selling if the offer is strong enough. Car is in excellent condition, Red with black interior, panasports, engine mods, ward and dean, recaro, etc. I feel 15 k is too high a figure for these cars but a good clean in your back yard car is rare and the car on Ebay is not a good example. I have owned my spider car since 1991 and the local Alfisiti around Boston know the car. Send me a PM if interested.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've seen several ebay listings by those people. The car looks like it was redone nicely, but are the modifications tasteful? I guess if you're trying to sell a 1979 spider for $15k, you have to do something to make it stand out, but removing the front bumper and closing off part of the opening is curious. It's presumably cheaper than locating a set of split front bumpers? It seems like a shame to modify a pininfarina-designed body. Other than the curious pucker-face modification to the front, what else have they added? looks like carbs instead of the spica, panasport wheels (personally, I prefer the turbina wheels that would have come with the car), a roll bar that looks better suited to a Jeep, a black plastic goatee (which the listing describes as cracked), and a race-y steering wheel...

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jk - thanks responded to your pm

gg - ditto

pop and ss, yea, realize the spider on ebay is way too high, but I wanted to show what I was looking for....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Funny, though. I have a spider I'm selling that's about 1000 cars removed from that one on the production run (thanks to the photo of the door panel/serial number). same original color. newly rebuilt engine. (it's listed for sale here). I'm having trouble selling it for $2000. I will be curious to see if that one sells. It looks to have a nice paint job, but they didn't strip down the car to paint it. and they removed the smog equipment (making it unregister-able in California, at least...)

The Series 2a (black bumper) spiders seem to be the least valuable. Which is a shame (or a blessing, depending if you're buying or selling) because they're the same body as the sought-after 71-74 save for the bumpers, which aside from being expensive or hard to find (reoriginals has them) can be fitted on them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i have a 1979 spider but it is not running. it has been garaged for 10 years and driven very little. it would not start this last summer. not the battery, we had that replaced. my mom was the original owner it has 80,00 miles.
thinking of selling it since we just do not get the opportunity to drive it much.
would you be interested?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts