Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting an S2 Spider from the Seattle WA area, and IF POSSIBLE, would like to get a hardtop put on the car prior to the long journey to KY.

I prefer the S3/S4 style, but would consider others (price dependent, right?).

From other posts on this forum, evidently any hardtop from S2/S3/S4 cars will fit a 1972.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Man. TEMPTING to sell as mine has been on the hardtop stand ever since I took it off the car 4-5 years ago. But man......not sure I can get rid of it. I love the S3/S4 hardtop look. Hmmmm, I'll consider it.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Brian,
No sweat. Seems to be a common story about "sitting on the stand" or hanging from the ceiling.
I have one lined up here in KY, but thought it would be convenient to have on the car if it is to be driven 2400 miles from WA to KY. Weather and leaks and interior wear, etc.
IF you decide, could you shoot me a couple pix and the price?
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,798 Posts
If you're going for the 86-94 style be sure the rear mounting clips and J hooks are included.
I like this style on the 86-89 Quadrifoglio as it works well with the side, front, and rear ground effects. I prefer the more rounded factory hardtop used on 71-82 on S2 models. The Parrish style is still being made but by a company called Smoothline. The Good thing with that hardtop is the windows, seals, etc are available as spares.
Cheers, Jon

Attachments

Reactions: stasha

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you're going for the 86-94 style be sure the rear mounting clips and J hooks are included.
I like this style on the 86-89 Quadrifoglio as it works well with the side, front, and rear ground effects. I prefer the more rounded factory hardtop used on 71-82 on S2 models. The Parrish style is still being made but by a company called Smoothline. The Good thing with that hardtop is the windows, seals, etc are available as spares.
Cheers, Jon
Good info, thank you.
The j hooks and mounting clips: are these part of the car body, or part of the top. I.e., does someone have to remove a piece of their car, leaving holes, if they sell their HT?

I have the Parrish/Smoothline for my MG Midget. Like the design, but the S3/4 seems to give more visibility. Right?

BTW, you have both types???

·
Premium Member
2,798 Posts
Hooks and clips should go with the hardtop. They use existing locations for mounting. These parts are expensive and hard to find so make sure you get them. I think the visibility is close to the same. The quarter window is mostly for style. Yes I have hardtops for both and a third factory S1 hardtop. All are projects. I seldom use a Hardtop because of the necessary preplanning needed when a sunny day hits in the fall or early spring.
Sounds like a great road trip.
Jon

Reactions: stasha
1 - 7 of 7 Posts