Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Hello I wanted an Electronic Veglia Borletti speedo for a 1982 gtv2.0.

Thanks.
I need one too Ennio, but I have never been able to work out if my problem is in the the speedo itself or the sender unit? Do you know of a good way to test them?

I think the GTV6 ran the same set up, so the US would probably be a closer option for you. They do come up on ebay from time to time.

Good luck with it, and let us know if you turn up a source.

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Getagrip, when I bought the car last year the speedo and tach didn`t work. I had a complete electrical revision of the car and they told me that there was something wrong woth it I can`t remember right now, but it must be in the mechanism of the odo, since the device registered the speed (I don`t know how accurately though).

I took it to another guy recently who found another speedo (something difficult here) but it didn`t work and they couldn`t make one up from those two, so I started searching abroad. I`ve found in Italy (a used one for 100 Euro plus shipping and a new one from the factory at around 270 Euros including shipping), right now nothing in the states.

I really don`t know how to test them, here labour is very cheap so the major work one the car is not performed by me. I only buy the stuff on the web and take it to an old alfa mechanic.

I will let you know what shows up.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I dont know if there are any manuals available for the post 82 GTV? But that would be handy. From memory, the sender unit is a type of mini generator that transmits a voltage to the speedo unit. The sender therefore has most of the moving parts (which wear out) and it lives on the side of the gearbox, so is pretty exposed. I've always suspected the sender unit in my car. It works intermitantly.

If both your speedo and tach are not working, I would be suspecting an earth myself.

It might be worth a post on the Alfetta and GTV6 Forum to see if someone knows how they work. I'm sure plenty of GTV6 owners will have been through this. Let us know if you find an answer.

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The tach was not working when I bought the car, but it has been fixed now, so you must have been right it should have been a bad earth.

Here is the link to the discussion I opened on the alfetta & gtv6 http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfetta-gtv6-1975-1986/51079-speedo-help.html

I also started a thread on the electrical theme, but got no answers so far...

From what I can figure out, my sending unit works and the speedo doesn`t, I will buy both and see what happens...

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Getagrip, just a quick post to tell you that I bought the speedo on ebay Uk, it is miles but has a km/h scale. Just in case my 82 sending unit was not going to drive it I bought a sending unit.
The stuff just arrived, I´ve just changed the speedo and works great!!! :D . It reads the speed and it registers the total and partial miles travelled as new!!:D It is a great buy and I am very very happy it is from a very low mileage car (87k miles) and the needle is as new.

You might look at ebay.uk for some stuff. Pretty cheap and avalable, seems that they are breaking various cars as they are rusted.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts