Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in the game after a brief hiatus... I need an Alfa to use while the Giulietta gets a thorough (probably year plus long) going over. Anyone have a Giulia super or variant for sale in Bay area, California or close? Am considering the tan car from recent ebay but want to check the list first. Looking for something immediately driveable, but would consider a project if it made sense.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Hey Matt! What happened to the 2600? The one from Santa Cruz? (I looked at her but didn't have the guts.)

Sorry, I have no idea where to find a Giulia.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2600 was cool but was on of those cars you have to get rid of while it runs and drives good. I just couldn't see myself doing the interior/paint etc it really deserved. On the bright side I have enough cash from it in the savings to buy a Super and got the 72 GTV (pictured) as part of the deal as well. The engine is getting rebuilt on the GTV right now, but it wont be done for 6 months because I plan on doing the full drive-train and interior before I put it to use.

Attachments

·
Registered
414 Posts
Good luck with that.

You'd think in a country of 300 million people there would be someone with a Super for sale, but it is a very thin market.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Back in the game after a brief hiatus... I need an Alfa to use while the Giulietta gets a thorough (probably year plus long) going over. Anyone have a Giulia super or variant for sale in Bay area, California or close? Am considering the tan car from recent ebay but want to check the list first. Looking for something immediately driveable, but would consider a project if it made sense.

Thanks.
Hello Alfasoon,
I do have a Super for sale but is not close to you.
I am in Northern Virginia. She is a 1971 Alfa Giulia Super, original a 1300 but now fitted with a blueprinted and balanced 2 liter engine with a new clutch assy. Still Euro spec. Marelli plex ignition. The only bad thing is the interior fan this has to be exchanged as this one is shot.

Color is white with black vinyl interior, wooden dashboard and steering wheel. She is rust free with solid doors and rocker panels and through out protected against rust with wax-oil. Fitted is also a rare factory 22 gallon gastank. This tank was available as extra for rally's or endurance races.
I fitted a 6 point harness in the car but can exchange that for the original as I still have that. I bought this car a few months a go for my self but as I am buying an other Alfa I have to sell this one. The other car was not on the market by then that's why.

My asking price is $11000 which is a steap price but this is a very solid Alfa. When you look at the prices in Europe in euro's then you know. Alfa Supers in this quality are hard to find at fair prices

If you know any one in Northern Virginia who can have a look at the car for you he is welcome to do so.

When interested I will send you more pictures from this car. It will be registerd in Virginia as a 1971 with 1971 license plates which will not convey with the car. The car is sold from private as is.

Please send me a PM when interested.

Thank you for your time.
Best regards
Robert Landman

Attachments

·
Registered
6,682 Posts
That looks wonderful! I know that there are many great cars in Holland. This looks to be one of them.
$11 K is about what I ended up paying for my '68 Super from Germany. So this price is more than fair.
Randy

·
Registered
505 Posts
Thank you Randy for the comment, it's always nice to hear that I am on the right page with pricing. If you don't have the experience in Europe with the average quality of the cars it's hard to believe the prices now a days.
best regards
Rob

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am happy to have response to this post. I should have posted my budget as well. I have $8000 I can spend.

I am talking to the owner of this car:
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/showthread.php?t=44860&highlight=ebay
He tells me to fly in and drive it home, no problem, no rust runs perfect. He said the reasons he is getting rid of it are impracticality of not having AC in Vegas, which means he never drives it, and a desire to put some money into his business. It would cost between $7500 and $8000 to get this car in my driveway. Since I am looking for a daily driver Super this car seems like a good starting point. I don't care about the Nuovo front end knowing ebay and the BB will eventually turn up the correct super items. As far as speculation about previous crash damage, it looks to have been straightened out well enough, certainly better than my Giulietta got after its altercation, if indeed it has been in an accident.

It looks to me like a good upholstery cleaning and dying to get the door panels all the same color and a rub out will produce a nice car. If it makes it from Las Vegas to Oakland it will have proven its daily driver ability.

Comments on this car welcome!

Thanks

·
Registered
6,682 Posts
If you read the posts on that Giulia carefully, there are a lot of questions about the claims of the seller.
I would be very careful about trusting his description!
What would the cost be if the motor blew up just this side of the Ca. border?
The better car will cost you more initially, but be cheaper to live with and be worth more on resale.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Randy, I have indeed thought of those arguments, and frankly been struggling to commit to the purchase. Be it luck or what have you, I have never been disappointed with an alfa purchase. I was thinking a round trip ticket to Vegas was the way to go. Give the car a spirited test drive, look for signs of poor mechanic-ing, sniff the oil etc. If all's well, set out across the desert, if there is any reason to back out, catch a cab back to the airport after grabbing a 99 cent shrimp ****tail and dropping a few quarters into a one armed bandit. Am I too settled to throw caution into the wind and drive an unfamiliar 37 year old car across the desert? Do I trust my sense of an Alfas mechanical robustness? Can I live with putting $3000 on my credit card and get the White car? Can I WAIT for another Super to appear on Craigslist or Ebay in California and going for it then?

ok, Rob, second PM sent about the white car.

Thanks for talking sense Randy!

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tell her it's not an oxymoron to talk sense in the context of all this Alfa nonsense.

Maybe there should be a forum on the BB for spouses to joke and complain about their Alfacentric significant others.

·
Premium Member
21,349 Posts
Matt, if you check out the Las Vegas car I'd love to hear about it. It's been kicked around a fair amount here, but as far as I know no one has gone and looked at it in person, which I think is a requirement in this case. May turn out the car is a deal; but from the ebay pics and description it seemed to cause a few concerns.

Where did your Berlina go?

Andrew

·
Premium Member
2,506 Posts
I live about an hour from Rob up in Hagerstown, MD and could possibly take a look at his car. I know Alfas pretty well and where to look for rust but I don't know if my judgement can be trusted. Andrew has seen a couple of the hapless heaps I've dragged home.:p Obviously, Rob's car doesn't fit that category and perhaps I could offer a useful opinion. Getting it home to CA would have to factor in there somewhere.

Bill Sinclair

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bill, I really appreciate that offer, I know first hand how stressful it can be recommending a car, I looked at a spider for a friend and was much more critical than I would have been had it been for me.

I think I am retreating into a 'wait and see what comes up' mode. I have an opportunity to buy an incredibly rare though not necessarily expensive Alfa, but it wont really fill the daily driver need, though I suppose I could light a fire under the GTV engine project.

Again, thanks for all the responses.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
****! Where were all these sweet cars when I was buying???? (Andrew told me to be patient - Doooh!!)

1 - 20 of 82 Posts