Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I could use a set of the original cast iron exhaust manifolds for a 3.0 Milano Verde at a reasonable price. I have an extra 3.0 engine I'd like to sell at some point. My mechanic lost mine when he moved his shop.

Thanks,
Peter
[email protected]

·
Registered
358 Posts
As I'm sure you're aware, these are hard to find as they have a tendency to crack and are quite expensive. Centerline's SZ style headers are probably a better option at $700. I'll probably be upgrading to SZ style on my Verde soon and I'm happy to sell my used, stock 3.0 manifolds to you for the same price.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Passenger side only

I have a passenger side manifold. It has a very fine hairline crack around one of the ports that I did not notice when it was on the engine. It was not leaking, so it may not be too deep?

3 litre pass manifold.jpg

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm pretty green on the problems and prices on these. So I appreciate the input from both of you. $700 is more than I can do, as I'm mostly hoping to include these with my Verde engine for when I sell it. I think I'm better off giving a price break on the motor minus the manifolds. But thanks for the offer.

GTA... if you think your P-side manifold can be welded, I might consider having just the one side for now. You can email me if you like to discuss this further.

I do have a set of 2.5 manifolds, and understand there is a difference. Does anyone know what the differences might be? Is it just the size of the ports? And what issues might be encountered in trying to use 2.5 units on a 3.0?

Thanks again,
Peter
[email protected]

·
Registered
96 Posts
I had this question a while ago. I can't seem to remember where, but I did bunch of research on this a few years ago after discovering a cracked manifold.

Probably not the case for everyone, but my 87 3.0 had exactly the same ID on the manifolds as a spare GTV6 manifold I acquired. I do NOT have the history of the car to know whether these were replacements or from the factory. It does run just fine with 2.5. Granted, I've never driven it with anything else, so maybe I don't know what I'm missing.

Most seem to agree you can use either (especially if it's just for a sale).

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have a passenger side manifold. It has a very fine hairline crack around one of the ports that I did not notice when it was on the engine. It was not leaking, so it may not be too deep?
If you are willing, can you measure the ID of the ports and combined outlet? I'm really curious to know what the actual difference is. The cracked manifold seems to be ~38mm at the ports and ~42mm at the outlet .

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
The 3 liter exhaust manifold is different than the 2.5 liter and you cannot weld cast iron. I have purchased 3 liter Milano exhaust manifolds from Alfa Parts Exchange and would call Larry.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again for your advice, Guys! I'll take some calipers to my 2.5 manifolds today and post the IDs on both ends here. Good to know cast iron can't be welded. I guess that's one reason these are in dwindling supply.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's the measurements I got from my 2.5 manifolds---

On the 6 entry ports, my calipers showed 5 of them at 36mm, and one around 34mm.

On the two exit ports, I got 40mm and 41mm, on the diameters that stepped in about an 1/8th of an inch from the one at the flat section where the pipes bolt up.

So, the internal 2.5 measurements are a bit smaller than the 3.0 Verde units, it seems.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
I have both manifolds and the 3 liter manifolds are larger. The passenger side manifold breaks more often according to Larry.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts