Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy folks,
I need a steering box for a 69 GTV. I sold the car on ebay and when the new owner recieved it, the steering box was cracked open. No idea how that could have happened in transport, but I want to make the new owner happy. Does anyone know what years fit??
Thanks for your consideration,
Glennco

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
I've got one from a 74 Spider that I drove home before parting out. Also one in a 74 Berlina that I'm about to part out but it will probably be 2 weeks before I get to it (the last of Alfaalex's rusty Berlinas). Both still have the steering column attached but I guess it could be removed. Don't know if either will fit a 69 GTV though. Also have one from a 67 GTV in my shed in VA that I could look at this weekend. $45.00? Depending on the proximity to your customer you may want to see if someone closer will give you a good deal. I imagine shipping will be costly. Incidently, the steering box in the 69 parts Berlina broke when we tried to move it. Of course, the fact that we were trying to steer it on two flats with the bead separated might have had something to do with it!

Bill Sinclair
Hagerstown, MD

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Bill,
If the GTV box will fit, I'd do that one. It could be drop shipped to my customer in Philly, save a little on shipping.
PAPAJAM, will it fit ??

Thanks,
Glennco

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
The 67 GTV box should physically fit the 69 GTV BUT the 67 box doesn't have a provision for the steering wheel lock (that could be why the part numbers for the two boxes are different). The 74 boxes, to my knowledge, have u-jointed columns. Doesn't mean that it won't work, just means that I don't know. The 74 boxes though will have the steering lock.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Box

Also, measure yours and be sure the lengths are the same. You probably know this, but in case you don't, Highwood Alfa rebuilds these boxes. He's a good fellow having bought a box from him.

Wes

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Okay, I'm back from my storage shed in VA with two boxes. One is from a 77 Spider and the other from a stepnose GTV (not really sure of the year and the carcass is long gone). As Papajam said, the Spider column has the steering lock and the GTV Sprint does not. (As an aside, my 67 Duetto does have steering lock, I think it must have changed sometime that year). I cannot see any difference in the ZF boxes themselves except that the earlier box has a threaded fill plug and the later box has a plastic cap. The column lengths are different though - the GTV being about 1/2" longer. Anybody know how hard it is to remove the column? I always see them with the column attached on ebay. Both boxes have about 20 degrees of play which I haven't tried to adjust out. Not sure if it's a good idea with no fluid in the box. Let me know if you want either one of them or if you want me to check anything else.
Bill Sinclair

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll take the stepnose one. If it's not right I'll just put it in the stock room for sale in the future.
Please email me and I'll send off a check. Thank you for your efforts.
Glennco
[email protected]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts